Thunder sound effect-> to midi?

Reaction score
I'm recording tracks to the DGX for Riders On the Storm for an accompaniment. I'm not overly happy with the thunder in the DGX 660. I searched for "midi sound effects" and came up with nothing.

Anyone know of a way to record thunder into a midi file to load up on the DGX? Or, do I accomplish it with a DAW? I do want to have it on the DGX so I can play background when I play Riders.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Your DGX will NEVER be able o play a thunder sound that you like.

It's not capable of loading in new samples.

The Juno DS could do it, but I believe the DGX has no sampling capability.

You will have to use a DAW with a sampler plugin to reproduce realistic thunder.

You might be able to tweak the EQ settings of the DGX thunder to improve it though.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Are you aware that MIDI is not an audio file per say, it is a chain of digital commands?

For MIDI to do what you need as Gary hints at the MIDI command you seek will trigger an audio sample which can be on a PC or Mac.

By far the easiest way is to create an audio file on your PC or Mac and play that back.

If you are not competent with using a DAW you have a steep learning curve as you go that route.

Reaction score
Are you aware that MIDI is not an audio file per say, it is a chain of digital commands?

For MIDI to do what you need as Gary hints at the MIDI command you seek will trigger an audio sample which can be on a PC or Mac.

By far the easiest way is to create an audio file on your PC or Mac and play that back.

If you are not competent with using a DAW you have a steep learning curve as you go that route.
I appreciate your input

I am not competent with a DAW. I would need to find one and get started. From some browsing a round I find that you are most definitely correct. They look daunting. The only thing going for me is I am very PC literate, so that may stint my learning curve just a bit.

I should probably mention whey I want to get it into the piano: I am in the learning path of doing my own accompaniments. And on the (rare) occasion of playing for someone, I want to use my accompaniment. Playing Riders on the Storm w/o thunder would just be wrong o_O

It's sounding like I'm stuck with the thunder resident on the DGX. I did record a sample track with it, and given the music coming out during the thunder does overshadow the poor thunder sound. But a great thunder would be much better.

For the purpose of putting it up on Youtube, I could use my Video Studio software and add the thunder there for the Youtube video, but playing it live wouldn't be the same using the DGX thunder.

Thanks again for your input.

Reaction score
Using a DAW is one solution.

Creating a Backing Track with the Thunder effects and playing it back through your DGX whilst playing the song with Auto Accomp is another.

Using a second keyboard which can sample or model the thunder sound is another. Feed the audio from the second keyboard into your audio input on the DGX.

Ask a Question