Tidy Cables - What do you use?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As much as I love adding new gear to my rig one thing I hate is untidy cables. Would be interested in what tips or products you use to keep your cables tidy.

Cheers!

Chris

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

I use this bag. It’s a “cablephyle”.

I also ensure I wrap all my cables correctly after use and I separate them with small Velcro ties.

Attachments

• 1AE0AF48-EE87-4CF2-8683-F2D886DB11D6.jpeg
    1AE0AF48-EE87-4CF2-8683-F2D886DB11D6.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 61

3dc

Reaction score
Al.jpg

I am a real man. I do my cable management with regular ties and straps. :)

First group all cables that are close to each other from entry ports and tie them accordingly. Then use tie or strap every 10 cm until you reach destination ports. That's it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My cables WANT to be FREE!!! :D

Seriously though, there's so many running in my studio it's impossible to keep them tidy.

In order to keep track of which is which I label mine with a Brother QL-570 label printer at the endpoints so at least I know which one is doing what. Same with power supplies, MIDI, USB and Audio Cables.

cable-label-20210217T053910-0001.jpg

Gary ;)

Reaction score
These are cheap and colorful if you're controlling a half dozen cables or so.

My main studio has well over 50 cables running behind the racks and I gave up on trying to make them pretty years ago. :p

Gary ;)

It really wouldn't bother me Gary but let's say that my wife has a few gripes lol. The tidier it is the more chance I have of having an easy time buying more gear. There's a method in my madness! :p

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It really wouldn't bother me Gary but let's say that my wife has a few gripes lol. The tidier it is the more chance I have of having an easy time buying more gear. There's a method in my madness! :p

Ah yes, the estrogen factor of decision making :D

Have you considered building a shed out back and declaring it to be sovereign territory? ;)

Look at the bright side. The way things are going if you're willing to throw enough cash at it you can make almost any rig wireless these days :p

Or...

If you are handy with home renos you could build your studio with hidden panels behind which your cables can slink unseen by any Y-chromosome impaired people. :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
How about keeping your cables tidy when they are in use... they can look really untidy behind your rig.
I gaff mine to my stands to prevent spaghetti and to take pressure off the plugs (as mentioned by Biggles).

However I don’t have a home studio - I play live only. This means I’m constantly setting up and tearing down my rig - so this method may not suit you.

Reaction score
I gaff mine to my stands to prevent spaghetti and to take pressure off the plugs (as mentioned by Biggles).

However I don’t have a home studio - I play live only. This means I’m constantly setting up and tearing down my rig - so this method may not suit you.
Yeah, I totally understand. Your needs are very different from mine. I personally would hate to be on the road and constantly having to set your rig up then down again. I am sure it is something you get used to after a while though...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I still think your best bet is to get creative.

Set up a small decorative screen or panel under and behind your rig and just route all your cables out of sight.

That should keep the estrogen monster happy and just label them at the connectors so you know which one plugs in where. ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
One of the key things to having a neat cable arrangement is to use custom cables which are sized according to use, using stock lengths gets messy in the studio and also when playing live gigs.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As much as I love adding new gear to my rig one thing I hate is untidy cables. Would be interested in what tips or products you use to keep your cables tidy.

Cheers!

Chris
What works best for me are simple pipe cleaners. You can pick up a bag of them at Staples fir a few bucks and toss them when they eventually wear out. You can also color code them according to cable length or other distinctions. Hope this helps.
Perry

Ask a Question