Tilted Stands

Reaction score
I'm a drummer/ percussionist that is very passionate about the playing, style and technique of Derek Sherinian.
I'm wondering if anyone knows about Tilted/ Inverted keyboard stands.

Ive heard the word/name " Jasper " but, upon further investigation.. a Jasper's stand only looks the part.. im not sure if it "IS" the "real Deal".. and I have gone as far as to ask my craftsman/carpenter friends about making some stands as well.. but I would really like to find the real deal before going that far!

I have yet to ask Derek himself to spare him the time and what not.. so I figured I would ask here. ( the Ultimate stands he uses now are a bit different than the wicked red ones he used on the Planet X tour..)

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The only keyboard stands I have any personal experience with are the infamous "X" stands, although the variety that I have (Casio ARDX) are a better design than the ones that are known to collapse during performances.

After looking at some pictures of Derek Sherinian playing keyboards, and then looking at some pictures of Jasper stands, the first thoughts that come to mind are that many brands of A-frame-style keyboard stands have arms that can be tilted, and while the pictures of those stands usually show a keyboard with its front lower than its back-- if it's tilting, that is-- I don't see why you couldn't flip a keyboard around on the stand so its front is higher than its back.

Reaction score
Hi Zac,

I think the theory behind Derek's tilted stands is to reduce pressure on the wrist when playing standing up.

If you're keen on Jaspers stands - check out this link, you can see the whole box and dice: http://www.thomann.de/gb/jaspers_keyboard_stands_keys.html

I'm not sure what keyboard stand manufacturer Derek actually uses, or whether he gets them custom made. I'm also not sure if he still uses the unique forward tilted style stand, recent videos I've seen of him have been in a more conventional setup.

You could probably PM him on Keyboard Corner - he ducks in and out of there from time to time.

Ask a Question