To amp or not to amp??

Reaction score
So, I have a gig coming up in a couple of weeks and my guitarist is trying to convince our band to all run direct an use the stage monitors/mix.
My bassist flat out refuses to play without his rig as he loves his tone.
I'm hesitant not to have my amp beside me, firing side stage. It's nice being able to turn up my amp volume if/when I can't really hear the keys too well.
But, I'm never really satisfied with the results of recordings we have done of previous shows, level-wise.

So, my questions are: would just running direct be something worth trying? Would a sound guy prefer that to having amp volume on stage? Would it create a better sounding FOH sound? Has anyone, or does anyone, run direct without an onstage keyboard amp?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Note...

I currently run thru my Carvin KB1015 amp onstage and use the amps onboard stereo DI's to connect to the house board.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Man..... I am not surprised the bassist refusing to go DI.....I am totally shocked that this is the guitarist wanting to do this.... I have never come across a guitarist not wanting to go through his own amp :eek: Guitar, Bass and (acoustic) Drums should be mic'd up IMHO.

As for the keyboard, unless the house provides foldback, you could be playing without hearing what you are doing!

Unless the venue is tiny, the FOH sound shouldn't be affected by your own unit.

The Y-man

Reaction score
I think this depends on personal preferences. I've tried different methods, including IEM's and still prefer my own keyboard monitor. The bass and guitar players in my main band only play through their personal rigs regardless of the situation. Don

Wes

Reaction score
The last time I played without my own amp on stage, the sound guy was so incompetent I could hardly tell if I was playing the right notes or not. I swear, he gave me an upside-down-smile EQ dropping 12dB per 1kHz centered at 500Hz.

I was floored when I heard the FOH recorded from a cell phone, it actually sounded fine, so this was a straight-up monitor problem. It was SO bad my singer was having a hard time singing our piano+vocal tunes because he had to somehow stay in time and pitch with a horrible wall of mud.

Reaction score
Wes, that's exactly why I use my own stage amp/monitor. I've had a Motion Sound amp for years but my Yamaha S80 piano sounded horrible throught that amp. Everything else sounded good, so I relegated the Motion Sound to practice room use. I recently got a Casio Px5S piano and it sounded good through the Motion sound at practice, so now I/m using the MS amp on stage, and liking it as I can run the keys in stereo without carrying my powered speakers and mixer. Don

Reaction score
Haven't played gig yet. It's not till next Friday. I've just decided to bring my amp, as I just got a Roland xp-30, so, now having two boards, I'd just rather go stereo into my amp from both boards and then stereo DI's out from my amp to the house PA.

With having the new 2nd board to deal with, I dont want to leave it a risk not to be able to hear myself also.

Reaction score
@ RDGBrian

I have similar boards - Triton Extreme and a JV1080 - how do you Midi chain them together? What DAW and Midi expansion port?

Reaction score
Put your keys to a mixer then feed the mixer to IEMs. Have the sound man give you a vocal mic feed to your mixer as well then you are in complete control of your monitoring/mixing/EQ. This will in no way impact stage volume and you can control your own destiny. Also is less stuff to transport and makes for a quieter stage volume.

Ask a Question