To buy or not buy..that's the question

Reaction score
Dear Colleagues, I followed with interest the recent thread on the Korg forum. I do not wish to “flog a death horse” as to which is the best keyboard to purchase. Ample information is available on the net. However, additional information is appreciated.

A few a days ago I visited a music store (referred to by my wife as Rafferty’s day-care centre) and had the opportunity to view/play the Korg PA700. In contrast to my PSR E453 the sound quality was so much better on the Korg. I understand the need to compare apples with apples and it may be prudent to compare the PA700 to other instruments with comparable specifications prior to purchase.

As a rule any of my prospective purchases have to undergo the “Do I need it...or do I just wanted it” test. In this instance I diagnosed a problem with my software, some subroutines appear corrupted and the information returned stresses the need for a new instrument. So, all that is required now is to recover my tin (if I can find it) containing coins buried in my backyard and do the deal.

On a different note, my therapist (wife) just hinted at the possibility I may suffer psychological issues (OCD) and points to my apparently pathological desire to visit any music store within 600 km from home, spend hours online reading keyboard reviews etc. and apparently respond to conversation not related to music with “grunts” and one syllable responses. I now wonder if there is a cure for this affliction ?

PS. In regards to my visit to the music store, there is no substance to the rumour that after my rendition of Spanish Eyes all prospective customers left the store...there was one chap remaining frantically adjusting his hearing aid???

Wishing you all a great day
Rafferty

Reaction score
Hilarious post! Thanks for making me smile.

had the opportunity to view/play the Korg PA700. In contrast to my PSR E453 the sound quality was so much better on the Korg.
Mate that's hardly surprising. The PA700 is a significant step up in features and quality, with a price to match. May I suggest the Yamaha PSR S775 or Roland EA7 as a more realistic point of comparison?

Once you get to this level of keyboard, IMO you can't really go wrong with the "big 3" - good quality instruments, well known brands, they'll get the job done for you. It then comes down to personal preference in relation to feature sets, sound quality and how well you get along with the UI (which is what dictates my own preference for Korg products).

“Do I need it...or do I just wanted it”
No one "needs" a new keyboard. Who cares? Get it anyway, because you "need" to be happy (until the next shiny object catches your eye, hehe).

Good luck, hope to hear about your new arranger keyboard (Korg, Yamaha or Roland) soon!

Reaction score
Hilarious post! Thanks for making me smile.

Mate that's hardly surprising. The PA700 is a significant step up in features and quality, with a price to match. May I suggest the Yamaha PSR S775 or Roland EA7 as a more realistic point of comparison?

Once you get to this level of keyboard, IMO you can't really go wrong with the "big 3" - good quality instruments, well known brands, they'll get the job done for you. It then comes down to personal preference in relation to feature sets, sound quality and how well you get along with the UI (which is what dictates my own preference for Korg products).

No one "needs" a new keyboard. Who cares? Get it anyway, because you "need" to be happy (until the next shiny object catches your eye, hehe).

Good luck, hope to hear about your new arranger keyboard (Korg, Yamaha or Roland) soon!

Hi CowboyNQ, thank you for your reply. I try hard to suppress my Korg bias and objectively evaluate other intermediate keyboard offerings. As you mentioned the UI is really intuitive and easily followed. As an aspiring musician (emphasis on the word aspiring) feedback such as yours is very valuable and may prevent me from purchasing an unsuitable intermediate arranger.

I am glad my post brightened your day. I have this trait of not taking myself too seriously and often have cause to laugh at myself. My partner’s recent comment to a friend of ours in regard to me taking up music at the wrong end of sixty: “He hasn’t grown up yet, he is the typical late bloomer”. That says it all:)

I can’t argue with this assessment.

Cheers,
Rafferty

Reaction score
Your mental health is of vital importance, not only to yourself but your family and to those of us on this forum who suffer similar symptoms.

Many people (aka The Wife in many cases especially mine) are simply not aware of the physical issues that result if the mental aspects are not catered for.

Anxiety, palpitations, shakes, the nodding duck syndrome (a standing motion, this a rocking forward and backward motion whilst standing still), elevated pulse, profuse perspiration, irritability, confusion, a lack of hearing supportive words. The list goes on.

Easily solved, you know the answer.

:)

Now getting back on track.

I have owned a PA700 since last October, some how I managed to buy one of the first ones that came to the UK. It was supposedly the demo model but nobody told the Sales Guy, they had just put it out when I walked in the store to enquire when they would have the keyboard in stock, I walked out of the store with it.

The store in question also had Yamaha S970 and S770 keys on demo, it only took a minute playing each to discount them both as toys compared to the PA700, their instrument sounds were medioce by comparison. I had previously tried the Roland BK models and whilst good, they were not as good to my ears as the Korg.

If you have not owned a Korg, hmmmm, well what can I say? Their operating systems are quirky and manuals wriiten in Klingon but once mastered the keyboard is quick to set up and change. Each instrument voice and each Style is easily tweaked, the Songbook feature is great, save each of your setups for each song you play to the Songbook, then within the Songbook you can make a Setlist, including the Songs you want. You then press Setlist, scroll to your Song and tap the screen. No more spending five minutes moving from menu, to menu as you do with the Yammy.

First point of call if you have not found them is to go onto Youtube and search out....... Korg Video Manual, PA700.

These are the official Korg product tutorial videos to get you started. They are very good and I must have watched each about 6 times during the research and getting to know post purchase period.

Fire off specific questions if you have them.

BTW
The Songs included as standard with the keyboard will have strange titles, this is just to get around import tariffs, an update to the Songbook is available from the Korg UK website that changes each song title to what it actually is plus it adds the original artist.

You can also download the manual from the Korg website to read the first few chapters.

Reaction score
Your mental health is of vital importance, not only to yourself but your family and to those of us on this forum who suffer similar symptoms.

Many people (aka The Wife in many cases especially mine) are simply not aware of the physical issues that result if the mental aspects are not catered for.

Anxiety, palpitations, shakes, the nodding duck syndrome (a standing motion, this a rocking forward and backward motion whilst standing still), elevated pulse, profuse perspiration, irritability, confusion, a lack of hearing supportive words. The list goes on.

Easily solved, you know the answer.

:)

Now getting back on track.

I have owned a PA700 since last October, some how I managed to buy one of the first ones that came to the UK. It was supposedly the demo model but nobody told the Sales Guy, they had just put it out when I walked in the store to enquire when they would have the keyboard in stock, I walked out of the store with it.

The store in question also had Yamaha S970 and S770 keys on demo, it only took a minute playing each to discount them both as toys compared to the PA700, their instrument sounds were medioce by comparison. I had previously tried the Roland BK models and whilst good, they were not as good to my ears as the Korg.

If you have not owned a Korg, hmmmm, well what can I say? Their operating systems are quirky and manuals wriiten in Klingon but once mastered the keyboard is quick to set up and change. Each instrument voice and each Style is easily tweaked, the Songbook feature is great, save each of your setups for each song you play to the Songbook, then within the Songbook you can make a Setlist, including the Songs you want. You then press Setlist, scroll to your Song and tap the screen. No more spending five minutes moving from menu, to menu as you do with the Yammy.

First point of call if you have not found them is to go onto Youtube and search out....... Korg Video Manual, PA700.

These are the official Korg product tutorial videos to get you started. They are very good and I must have watched each about 6 times during the research and getting to know post purchase period.

Fire off specific questions if you have them.

BTW
The Songs included as standard with the keyboard will have strange titles, this is just to get around import tariffs, an update to the Songbook is available from the Korg UK website that changes each song title to what it actually is plus it adds the original artist.

You can also download the manual from the Korg website to read the first few chapters.

Hi Col, thank you for your feedback. It is reassuring to know I am not the only one suffering from this strange affliction. Apart from the nodding duck syndrome my symptoms seem to match. As far as the nodding duck syndrome is concerned, it may be something to look forward to just as long as it is not the duck or ugly duck syndrome a not formally recognized type of mental illness (calm on the surface but paddling like hell below to stay above water).

The more information I gather the more I am convinced of taking the plunge and go the PA700 way. It appears to be an excellent instrument and is currently available with a free Klingon language course.

I am well past the justification stage, although I have considered purchasing the PA700 for my wife’s birthday but have since abandoned this frivolous idea fearing retaliation. I can’t really see myself walking around town wearing a pair of ruby earrings. Apart from that it would clash with my CowboyNQ jersey, stubbies and thongs.

Have a great weekend,
Rafferty

Reaction score
You can see the start of the nodding duck syndrome whenever you see a young person in the street with their mobile phone, the nod is frequently there, and there comes the day when the nod is there without earphone being worn.

A sweetener birthday buy for the Mrs will no doubt help, I’m thinking luxury hotel in a City break where the hotel is conveniently located opposite a music instrument megastore.

Thanks for the image of Cowboy in his best bib and tucker, thankfully said image has not found its way into his Avatar (yet).

Reaction score
Apart from that it would clash with my CowboyNQ jersey,
Sorry to disappoint you other lads, but I think Rafferty may be referring to one of these:

tumblr_pc8nmzA6FI1ual3guo1_540.jpg

Reaction score
Yep, that is the jersey I am referencing, anything else is coincidental :rolleyes:. Incidentally, my favourite Leagues team from North Queensland. CowboyNQ excellent choice for a nom de plume.

During this weeks round the team lost :mad:

upload_2018-7-22_13-46-34.png

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I did spend some time in townsville a few years ago and developed a fondness for the cowboys. Sadly they slumped this year. Such a shame after last years triumph.
I am glad we sorted that out since I never really wanted to take up the kazoo lol. I will stay here for awhile.
Ray

Reaction score
Hello Ray, I am sure glad you decided not to move on, novices like me very much benefit from your forum input. By the way, I share your passion for exotic instruments. Below is a picture of one of the oldest instruments dating back to 4 BC. It’s main selling points are: Portability (easy to move from gig to gig), 1001 voices, 1002 rhythms, infinite music database and low power consumption and I have been told it runs on alternate power sources such as beer etc.
upload_2018-7-23_7-47-39.png

Reaction score
Very clever happyrat1:D..now I am beginning to understand the origins music genres. May I demonstrate my new found understanding, for example the meaning/process behind the genre heavy rock simply refers to the mass of the rock used to generate the sound......the heavier the rock the heavier the rock.:confused:

Reaction score
Keyboardist: individual who spends hours and days researching multi-thousand dollar gear, frequently visits music stores, pesters spouses and passer-by's with random gear-related musings, but never buys anything.

Guitarist: "Oooh, shiny! That color will go good with my shoes!"

Reaction score
Keyboardist: individual who spends hours and days researching multi-thousand dollar gear, frequently visits music stores, pesters spouses and passer-by's with random gear-related musings, but never buys anything.

Guitarist: "Oooh, shiny! That color will go good with my shoes!"

Guitarist take on a keyboardist.

The insecure guy who barricades himself behind his kit and pretends to play while all along its the guitarist up front who is going to get lucky tonight.

:p:mad:

Ask a Question