To stick or not to stick?

Reaction score
That is the question.

Regarding keyboard labelling of the notes.

I have a full set of note stickers for the entire keyboard and am wondering if I should stick them on all the keys.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to doing this (as a complete beginner)?

To be clear the stickers I have are like the ones pictured here - so they also show the note on the stave too (though I do realise they seem to have been stuck on incorrectly in the illustration, eeek).

KeyStickers.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not recommended...If you stick names on notes you will never be able to play another keyboard with notes not named.
There are only 12 notes names to remember in each octave...just learn them.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
They are tacky, useless, and ugly.

Seriously. If you know the alphabet up to G you’ll figure it out in less than a day.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
A new player will tend to search for the letters and not the keys. Not remembering where the key is located they will just plonk away using just index finger alone.

Best to learn the octave as a whole and fingerings . . Right from scratch . . Lesson ONE.

Reaction score
But won't the note on the stave thing be useful for learning to read sheet music?

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you must or need some help getting started..I recommend the PIANO RAKE. It's available from Amazon or the PIANO RAKE website. It's not a permanent marker...and can be installed and removed in seconds. It lays down on the keys where they disappear into the piano. Hope this is helpful.

Ask a Question