Torn between two rig options, some outside advice needed?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I usually hang on other places and thought I might need to look at fresh areas so did a search and came up with this forum...seems pretty cool really :)

Anyhoo, re the thread title I am about to change up (down?) my rig and I really am torn between two options. (haha, well, three really)

1. Kurz PC4, add a yammie modx6
2. replace PC4 with yammie MODX 8 and use Arturia Keylab 49 (MK II) -beautiful keybed by the way! With excellent aftertouch :) (I already own one)
3. Kurz PC4 and just add the Arturia and use PC4 sounds - and add the iPad mini for VB3m/B3x

As I see it adding the MODX6 also gives the option for when I'm in band mode (I play in three as well as solo gigs - sans COVID) of having a smaller single keyboard if necessary for smaller gigs, and the Arturia with 49 notes, is a tiny bit light on the keys number for nearly full two hand playing and splits.

I really am stuck on exactly which way to jump, so any thoughts will be appreciated. Not asking for someone to make a decision, if you get me, just bouncing ideas.

Reaction score
Overall, I think the PC4 is more capable than the MODX8. So I don't see much reason to consider option 2, unless there are some specific MODX things you're looking for, and are willing to trade way the PC4 advantages to get.

Boards I'd personally put on my shortlist if I were looking for something to put over a PC4:

* Hammond SK Pro or Nord Stage 3 Compact, for their stronger-than-Kurzweil organ and knobby synth functions

* Yamaha MODX7 or Roland Juno DS76 or FA-07 or Korg Krome 73, for a lightweight 7x-key board with some different sonic character, also functional as a backup board if needed, or as a lighter-weight only-board. (I'm partial to the first two on that list.)

* Roland AX-Edge as a light, low-cost board with nice sounds of its own, nice action with aftertouch, and the fun of actually strapping it on and using it as a keytar now and then.

All have decent functionality for additional use to also trigger PC4 and/or iPad sounds, though some are more flexible than others in this regard.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just get a 3 tier rack and use the PC4, a MODx8, AND the Arturia :D

If I might ask, why are you considering unloading the PC4?

My PC3K8 is still serving me faithfully after all these years and I want to be buried with it :D

One factor to consider though is weight.

The PC4 and the Arturia are the lightest possible combinations to transport and set up. You could always go for the MKII 61 if you need more keys.

A lot easier on your budget too.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks guys...yes good ideas there for sure. @happyrat1 I'd prefer not to, TBH, and the way I am leaning is toward just adding the MODX6 - predominantly not for the sounds, but for the combis you can set up with beats and arps that the yammie brings to the table (about 10,000 according to them) . No after touch, which I like for synth soloing is a biggie, not sure I could get over it...time is the only answer to that one.

Adding a 61 keylab has merit, and not one I would have thought of...still use the ipad for the organ sounds, aftertouch for the synth sounds....yes, good idea! Only trouble is the used market (with COVID) is quite depressed unless you sell for ridiculous prices. Not sure I'd want two controllers haha!

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I usually hang on other places and thought I might need to look at fresh areas so did a search and came up with this forum...seems pretty cool really :)

Anyhoo, re the thread title I am about to change up (down?) my rig and I really am torn between two options. (haha, well, three really)

1. Kurz PC4, add a yammie modx6
2. replace PC4 with yammie MODX 8 and use Arturia Keylab 49 (MK II) -beautiful keybed by the way! With excellent aftertouch :) (I already own one)
3. Kurz PC4 and just add the Arturia and use PC4 sounds - and add the iPad mini for VB3m/B3x

As I see it adding the MODX6 also gives the option for when I'm in band mode (I play in three as well as solo gigs - sans COVID) of having a smaller single keyboard if necessary for smaller gigs, and the Arturia with 49 notes, is a tiny bit light on the keys number for nearly full two hand playing and splits.

I really am stuck on exactly which way to jump, so any thoughts will be appreciated. Not asking for someone to make a decision, if you get me, just bouncing ideas.
I recently changed my rig and added an M-audio Code 61 (11 pounds) as the midi controller; does everything I need; has nine sliders to control hammond drawbars, also has bank buttons so that I can independently control the upper drawbars as well as the lower drawbars; has an expression input, sustain input, midi DIN In/Out as well as USB In/out. fully assignable knobs and pads to control percussion, C/V (upper/lower on/off, V1 through C3 selections), leslie on/off, stop/slow. It is also 61 keys so for a small gig I can use it to play piano (limited to 61 keys, but certainly better than 49). I would take a look at that controller rather than the Arturia. Here is a video of how it was setup to control the HX3 organ module. I use to control my Gemini module which has the Crumar Mojo built into it as well as controlling my Voce V5+.

Reaction score
Thanks DD - not sure (if I went a controller route) I could give up the Arturia keybed - it's the best I have played on any controller! Including the old A70 (which I still have btw, but it's long retired haha!)

Ask a Question