Total Newbie

Reaction score
Now I know some of the questions and queries I will post may have been answered and before someone has a rant, I have had a read before posting my thread.

Now, I am wanting to learn the keyboard/piano. I do have a brief idea as to the difference, but want to know which would be better for me, though I think it will be keyboard.

I have never really played any musical instrument before, but want to learn the keyboard/piano. The main reason is becuase I love classical music and want to learn to play some of the great pieces. I am aware that this goal is way down the line.

I am wanting to know whether it would be better to play piano or keyboard to ultimatley play the classical music I want to. Also any paticular type or note range, bearing in mind that I am wanting to get right into it, budget is about £500. If indeed a keyboard, can you recomend a keyboard ideal for the music type I am wanting to learn.

Finally what type of music should I start by playing and any timeframe as to how many hours before I can play pieces decently.

I am good at picking up things and more than happy putting lots of hard work in.

Many thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Yamaha NP-30, a proper piano stool, a sustain pedal (M-audio do a good piano style inexpensive one) and a copy of "It's Never Too Late To Play The Piano"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Never-Late-Play-Piano-Tutor/dp/0571520707

Post back once you're a few months into the book and I'll give you some pointers for books that have playable arrangements of the well known classical repertoire.

If you're not going for lessons - any chance of getting a buddy to start with you? Maybe get together once a week and work your way through the book?

Good luck.

Reaction score
Yamaha NP-30, a proper piano stool, a sustain pedal (M-audio do a good piano style inexpensive one) and a copy of "It's Never Too Late To Play The Piano"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Never-Late-Play-Piano-Tutor/dp/0571520707

Post back once you're a few months into the book and I'll give you some pointers for books that have playable arrangements of the well known classical repertoire.

If you're not going for lessons - any chance of getting a buddy to start with you? Maybe get together once a week and work your way through the book?

Good luck.

Hi Goz

Firstly I'd like to thank you for taking the time and effort in replying to my post.
I've certainly taken onboard what you've sain and seen the items which I will duly be purchasing.

I will probably be practising alone and using the internet and books as my tools. I've no one unfortuneately to help me and lessons are out of question at the moment, Is it more difficult the way I'm intending on doing it?

I've just a further few questions. Please excuse my ignorance but I am a total beginner in this area. Firstly a sustain pedal, how and why is that used.
Secondly, do you think I should or will need a stand and if so any paticular one.

And what is difference between piano, keyboard and synthesizer.

Finally if i wanted to record onto laptop would it be a case of buying a connector from keyboard to laptop.

Once again I'm much obliged.

PS I've read some of your other posts and you are most helpful to many people.

Reaction score
Piano, keyboard, synth - depends on context.

Usually (on this forum):

keyboard/synth = something that needs electricity to work - may have built in speakers but often you have to plug it into something else to hear it. Most have 61 keys.

piano = the big wooden thing, 88 keys, acoustic instrument

Recording the audio from a keyboard/synth on to a laptop - use a program like Audacity (free). If you have a mic you can just connect it to the microphone in on your computer for a "rough and ready" audio demo.

Post and let us know why you'd be recording - there's other stuff you'll need to buy for a good quality recording. If it's just to document your practising - a bit of critical listening - an old fashioned audio cassette recorder and some tapes is easy to use.

You may have a mobile phone that'll do the job.

Next step up is an external audio interface with a USB or firewire link to your laptop.

Lots of people teach themselves to play. A teacher for encouragement and guidance is great. A friend to have a laugh with and share the journey as you struggle to get something going that sounds ok - is magical.

You'll sound crap for ages - have a laugh about it. Every one of us on here sounded exactly the same when we started too.

Reaction score
Piano, keyboard, synth - depends on context.

Usually (on this forum):

keyboard/synth = something that needs electricity to work - may have built in speakers but often you have to plug it into something else to hear it. Most have 61 keys.

piano = the big wooden thing, 88 keys, acoustic instrument

Recording the audio from a keyboard/synth on to a laptop - use a program like Audacity (free). If you have a mic you can just connect it to the microphone in on your computer for a "rough and ready" audio demo.

Post and let us know why you'd be recording - there's other stuff you'll need to buy for a good quality recording. If it's just to document your practising - a bit of critical listening - an old fashioned audio cassette recorder and some tapes is easy to use.

You may have a mobile phone that'll do the job.

Next step up is an external audio interface with a USB or firewire link to your laptop.

Lots of people teach themselves to play. A teacher for encouragement and guidance is great. A friend to have a laugh with and share the journey as you struggle to get something going that sounds ok - is magical.

You'll sound crap for ages - have a laugh about it. Every one of us on here sounded exactly the same when we started too.

Hi

Thanks for quick reply, can i ask how long it took you to sound half decent once you started as beginner.

And sorry to ask again but what is a sustain pedal used for on a keyboard and do u think its better with or without a stand.

Many thanks,

Reaction score
It's the hours and daily repetition - 20 mins every day is better than one long four hour session on a Saturday morning.

Half an hour to an hour, six days a week - you should notice a massive difference in six months. If you don't play another instrument already and you don't have a teacher - you need to get a tutor book and follow it to get going. That's for your goals of playing some "classical" repertoire.

If you want to just play some chords - one month, few chords, join a band and have a ball - huge shortage of keyboard players. They'll be glad of even a few sustained notes to help fill out the sound. Playing in a band is also really good fun.

Can't stress this enough for what you're aiming for (the classical two handed stuff) - you need to put the time in at the keyboard.

Sustain pedal - the notes will "ring on" after you let release (let go) of the keys.

Reaction score
It's the hours and daily repetition - 20 mins every day is better than one long four hour session on a Saturday morning.

Half an hour to an hour, six days a week - you should notice a massive difference in six months. If you don't play another instrument already and you don't have a teacher - you need to get a tutor book and follow it to get going. That's for your goals of playing some "classical" repertoire.

If you want to just play some chords - one month, few chords, join a band and have a ball - huge shortage of keyboard players. They'll be glad of even a few sustained notes to help fill out the sound. Playing in a band is also really good fun.

Can't stress this enough for what you're aiming for (the classical two handed stuff) - you need to put the time in at the keyboard.

Sustain pedal - the notes will "ring on" after you let release (let go) of the keys.

Yh I put in plenty of time and with anything Ive done I believe its consitency and time invested everyday asapose to one day a week and lots of hours.

I'm not sure I have the time for a band but will see. But I am in it for the long haul and want to commit to it now.

And this is indeed my first instrument, so as my title says I am a toal Novice in musical instruments, though I love classical music. For instance turkish rondo mozart is just an awesome piece.

What I will day is that I have many expertise in mnay difference areas and am generally very adequate in learning new things and most of all I love a challenge.

Reaction score

Sorry fogot to ask you, is it better and more comfortable to have a keyboard stand and if so which one would you reccomend.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Keyboard stand - the NP-30 has one included. Post back if you're buying something else.

Get a proper piano stool or an adjustable piano bench.

Reaction score
Keyboard stand - the NP-30 has one included. Post back if you're buying something else.

Get a proper piano stool or an adjustable piano bench.

Just wanted to clarify I will be buying the "its never too late to play the piano"
in addition to this should then get a tutor book as well.
I've seen a sustain pedal the SP-1 do you think this will do the job or should I go for a different one.

and what sort of price do you think is reasonable for the NP30 and stand package. Most of the ones Ive seen are without a stand. Have a link of one which includes the stand.

Many Thanks,

Reaction score
No - "It's never too late" is a good tutor book. Get that to start with and work your way through it.

Not the SP-1 - the SP-2 is much better.

There was no link in your post. Any NP-30 box I've seen has a basic wire frame stand inside - and a power adaptor. Who are you buying it from?

Reaction score
No - "It's never too late" is a good tutor book. Get that to start with and work your way through it.

Not the SP-1 - the SP-2 is much better.

There was no link in your post. Any NP-30 box I've seen has a basic wire frame stand inside - and a power adaptor. Who are you buying it from?

As a package this is where Ive seen the NP30, an adapter and stand

http://www.rockingrooster.co.uk/productYamahaNP30BlackKeyboardPack-249.99.html

However, Ive seen the NP30 for around £220 or slightly cheaper individually. In this case I would need to buy the adapter and stand seperate.

I dont know what a reasonable price for the NP30 is.

Thanks,

Reaction score
I think the exchange rate messes the pricing up - it was well under £200 (incl. stand and adaptor) when I first became aware of it a few years back. Think it was around £170 plus postage.

I've googled and £220 seems to be the price for a new one. Have you a music shop near you that you can go and try one out?

A little over £220 and you can sometimes pick up an older model (used) clavinova on Gumtree or EBay.

The next one up (new) I'd go for would be the casio cdp-100. A fair bit more expensive especially when you add in a stand and piano stool. Still should come in under your budget of £500 - but not much.

You can probably get a playable 2nd hand piano for that.

Reaction score
I think the exchange rate messes the pricing up - it was well under £200 (incl. stand and adaptor) when I first became aware of it a few years back. Think it was around £170 plus postage.

I've googled and £220 seems to be the price for a new one. Have you a music shop near you that you can go and try one out?

A little over £220 and you can sometimes pick up an older model (used) clavinova on Gumtree or EBay.

The next one up (new) I'd go for would be the casio cdp-100. A fair bit more expensive especially when you add in a stand and piano stool. Still should come in under your budget of £500 - but not much.

You can probably get a playable 2nd hand piano for that.

Budget has been adjusted to about £300 - reason being my tv just blown and its cost me some to get it sorted.

So most probably will go for the NP30 now - is there a major difference between that and the CDP 100 other than the CDP has 88 keys.

I have an idea on the paino stool, SP-2, stand and the tutor book I need. So now its just the Keyboard itself.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Either will do the job. Good luck on your musical adventure.

Thanks yo yourself, I have now purchased NP30 and everything else needed. I'm just waiting for my tutor book and will be making my start. The series of book ive chosen
are the all-in-one alfreds series, Level 1,2and3.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adult-All--...8186/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1309287278&sr=8-5

I have read that these are good for beginners, haveyou come across this series and if so what do you think of them

Ask a Question