'Traded' MM6 for Motif Rack ...

Reaction score
Didn't get enough real Motif sounds from the MM6, and it wasn't an effective 'controller', so I sold it and bought a Motif Rack module (essentially a straight trade, $$-wise).

Anyone here have experience with the Motif Rack they'd like to share? I know I'll be able to make good use of it; but are there any tips or cautions you'd like to share?

:cool:

Reaction score
Ron

All of the Motif Rack units had the same wave samples and sound engines as their keyboard counterparts, so the rack unit sounds should have been just as good, and the Motifs are known for their high quality piano and orchestral sounds. I think your problem in finding rack unit owners is that it was a very niche market. I don't think Yamaha ever sold very many rack units compared to Motif keyboards, and that technology is now several years old, but that certainly does not mean any of the Motifs can not still find very good use. Don't forget, when it comes to the voices and voice editing, whatever applies to the keyboards also applies to the rack units, so you have that much in common with the keyboard owners and should be able to find some good advice in that respect. If you have not already found it, you might want to check-in over at the "motifator.com" forum. They are, by far, the most popular and active Motif forum.

Good luck !

Reaction score
I must say, using the Motif Rack with a DAW/Sequencer is a LOT different than any other module (or keyboard synth) I've used. A very steep learning curve for this one! :)

Reaction score
I know what you mean, Ron. I had a Motif XS-6. It was a wonderful keyboard, but I only kept it for a couple of years, as its capabilities and learning curve were way more than I needed and its weight was way more than my aging back muscles could handle. If I had bought the rack version, I would probably still have it. Enjoy yours !

Regards,

Ted

Reaction score
Actually Ted the MM6 wasn't a heavy beast like the 'full' Motif keyboards, it just didn't have what I needed - but I love the Motif soundset. The rack has everything the Motif 6 has and more, so I'm good. A nice side benefit is that I can do more 'controller' stuff using my Korg M1 driving the Motif Rack than I could with the MM6 trying to drive the Korg TR Rack. :)

Ask a Question