Transferring Styles/Rhythm

Reaction score
Is it possible to Transfer Styles/Rhythm from one brand of keyboard to another, for instance from Casio to Yamaha? If so how is it done and what is involved.

Thanks,

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
That’s a tricky question to answer, because the answer is basically “No, and yes,” or “Yes, but no,” depending on how you want to look at it.

Generally speaking, there are two or three types of auto accompaniments— those that use MIDI tracks, those that use audio tracks, and those that use some combination of both.

Auto accompaniments that use MIDI tracks can be somewhat converted to work on other keyboards, although the degree of success can depend on how similar the voices or tones are between the two models, as well as how similar their basic features are, and especially how similar the accompaniments for each model are to each other as far as things like how many different types of sections they have (such as intros, main loops, fills or breaks, and endings), how many variations of each type of section they have, how long each type of section can be, and what types of parts the various channels of the accompaniment are used for. If there are too many differences in these things, the converted accompaniment may be quite different than the original. In other words, it can be just like translating something from one language into another— some things might be “lost in translation.”

Nevertheless, there are people who enjoy converting accompaniments from one brand of keyboard to another. There is at least one program that is designed to help with this, but I forget the exact name right now (Style Works? Or maybe Style Magic?), and I’m replying from my iPad right now so it’s kind of awkward to try to look it up while I’m replying. In any case, the program is rather expensive, and there are multiple versions of it depending on which brand of keyboard you want to convert accompaniments to.

I believe there is also at least one internet forum whose members are devoted to converting accompaniments from one brand to another, but I think you are expected to pay a membership registration fee.

Reaction score
Thank you SeaGtGruff for you response, I kind of felt like there is more to it than simple transition, I'm new to Keyboards and have a Casio PX780, Yamaha DGX230 and recently purchased a PSRS970, but I use my DGX230 the most because it has 76 keys and I'm trying different Styles to go with the songs I'm learning and ran into a Style on PX780 which I liked and wanted to know if there was way to transfer it to DGX230. Again thank you for your knowledge and responsne.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The program I was trying to think of is called Style Works. If you just want to convert from other keyboard brands to Yamaha, you can buy the Yamaha edition. But if you want to be able to convert to any brand then you would need the “universal” edition, which is expensive.

However, it’s usually pretty easy to convert a style file to a MIDI file by simply removing the “proprietary” non-MIDI data chunk(s). Then you can use a free utility called “midi2style” to select the various bars of the MIDI file and use them to create a style file.

Reaction score
Thank you again for the information, I think I'll give it a try and let you know the result.

Reaction score
Sir, I have recently purchased a new Yamaha PSR S975. I have PSR S900 already. Now I wanted to transfer some of the styles from PSR S900 to PSR S975 through USB drive. Usual method used in PSR S900 does not seem to be possible in PSR S975. Can you please help me how to transfer styles from USB to User Memory in Yamaha PSR S975?

Reaction score
Hi Sherin, I just purchased PRS S900 and would like to upload my styles (Yamaha) from my USB to the keyboard. Please help me out. Thank you

Ask a Question