Travel keyboard

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone does when on vacation. Do you take a portable keyboard?
I’ve been looking at a folding keyboard because I think flying with an 88 keyboard would be troublesome and expensive.
I don’t want to take a long break from practice.
We usually do a couple of two week trips a year.

Reaction score
M-Audio Code 25, 49 or 61 model (if you can find them). Compact, lightweight (49 is 11 pounds). It's a controller only but if you bring a laptop or midi device its a quick setup.

Have to look around on Ebay or Reverb to find one.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have no idea how traveling is with an instrument but I guess any of these that would easily go in the overhead would be no hassle.
I certainly don’t want to check a gator case with my 88 key Juno.

Reaction score
Where are you going. Be careful if its international. I have some interesting stories to tell about flying with my guitar. Years ago a YouTube video went crazy over United breaks guitars. Fun and sad at the same time.

Reaction score
This time just domestic but we are planning to do international soon. I can only imagine.
I was also thinking about hotel room theft it I guess you can’t worry about everything.
that’s why I want to take a small inexpensive keyboard so I won’t fret if something happens to it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I voice again the Melodica or the Pianica (Yamaha Version).

They are cheap, durable, never run out of batteries and if you drop it from the boat it even FLOATS!!!!

They sound like harmonicas for Piano Players or a poor man's accordion. Great for playing the blues :)

And did I mention it's CHEAP!!!! <= $30 if the thing gets stolen or lost.

The Melodica is the Ideal travel instrument along with the Harmonica and the Moses Harp. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I voice again the Melodica or the Pianica (Yamaha Version).

They are cheap, durable, never run out of batteries and if you drop it from the boat it even FLOATS!!!!

They sound like harmonicas for Piano Players or a poor man's accordion. Great for playing the blues :)

And did I mention it's CHEAP!!!! <= $30 if the thing gets stolen or lost.

The Melodica is the Ideal travel instrument along with the Harmonica and the Moses Harp. :)

Gary ;)
These looks great!!!!! A great choice!!!!!! Thx

Reaction score
I won't suggest a uke since I'm assuming it needs keys. I'd go with the Yamaha melodica. You probably don't want to play it on the plane but it's fun to walk around with.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Screw Yamaha.

I paid $30 for a generic Chinese Melodica from Amazon.

Yamahas are triple the price.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I would look at something like Casio CT-S1. very light and portable, yet with great sounds.
Also, some hotels have pianos, and will be happy for some free shows...

Reaction score
What about Yamaha PSS F30? Small and cheap enough, sounds better than any melodica. And you can normally breathe - no need to blow.

Reaction score
I haven't tried this but am tempted due to the convenience.

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone does when on vacation. Do you take a portable keyboard?
I’ve been looking at a folding keyboard because I think flying with an 88 keyboard would be troublesome and expensive.
I don’t want to take a long break from practice.
We usually do a couple of two week trips a year.
I agree with "Biggles" - some model from the Yamaha Reface series would do the job - they are small, but they sound like professionals, you can have it in your knee, and use headphones -- greetings, Levi from Sweden

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I disagree with both of you.

The last thing anyone needs on vacation is a $500 keyboard in the gorilla hands of baggage handlers and if he packed more than a speedo and a box of condoms, it WILL end up as checked baggage.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The Reface series are smaller than the dimensions for carry on luggage.

Whilst I am no fan of Yamaha they nailed it with the Reface series.

The Op may want to check out other small series keyboards eg Akai MPK Play or microKorg

Reaction score
New Yamaha PSS series keyboards have the same size like the old Reface series.

Here you can look at and listen to some interesting F30 model demos:

Organ - Bach & Haendel
Disco 2
Retro jazz

Full review of model A50

Ask a Question