Triggering JD-XI sequencer start/stop via external midi

Reaction score
Hi all, total newbie here and to synths in general, so I apologize if this is a dumb question. But I've spent many hours looking for an answer, and I can't find one.

I'm primarily a guitarist, looking to incorporate drums and synth into live gigs. I've found discussions on controlling all kinds of parameters with an external midi command, but I don't need any of that. I need one thing: the ability to start and stop the sequencer with a midi command. I'm hoping this is possible. If so, can anyone be my new best friend and tell me the command?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
There is a MIDI "Start" message and a MIDI "Stop" message.

The manual that lists which MIDI messages the JD-Xi can receive and send can be found at

under the "Owner's Manuals" heading, at the "JD-Xi MIDI Implementation" link.

The "Start" and "Stop" messages are briefly described on page 8 of that manual. They will be received (that is, acknowledged and responded to) by the JD-Xi when the Sync Mode parameter is set to "slave." They will not select anything, merely tell the JD-Xi to start or stop playing whichever pattern or sequence has already been selected.

According to the chart on page 17, the JD-Xi doesn't respond to the "Song Select" and "Song Position" messages, so you'll need to select the desired song (pattern or sequence) manually on the synth.

As far as what types of messages you're able to send to the JD-Xi, that depends on the hardware device or software app that you're using to send MIDI messages to the JD-Xi.

Ask a Question