Triton Head & Aelsis Q88

Reaction score
HI, I have an old Triton rack and I have been using the Alesis Q88 to play through it. I have been changing patches from the front of the Triton. I only use about 7 different patches on my gig. Can I use the Alesis to store patches and get directly to what I need? I'm not that savvy with synths.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The Q88 doesn't appear to have many panel controls that could be mapped to functions on the Triton rack for changing its settings live.

I haven't looked at the manuals for the two devices, but older synths often were able to send and receive SysEx bulk data dumps of all the relevant settings for a patch, and some MIDI controllers are able to receive and store such SysEx dumps so they can be sent to the synth at a later time to change patches.

Do you have any other equipment that you're using with them? In particular, are they connected to a computer for recording purposes? If so, then it might be better/easier to use a computer app to store the patch settings and send them to the Triton rack when needed.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the information. No I have just a simple set up. I do have a M-audio controller but it only has 61 keys. Would that one work?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don’t know that the Q88 won’t work; I’d have to scan its manual to see what its capabilities are in that respect.

As for the M-Audio, it might depend on the model, since companies such as Alesis and M-Audio like to make different models with different numbers of features so they can offer them at different prices— simpler models at lower prices, and more full-featured models at higher prices.

I have a 61-key M-Audio Axiom controller with lots of buttons and knobs and sliders that could be mapped to CC messages for controlling either a sound module or a soft synth, but other M-Audio models are like the Q88— just the keyboard, two or three buttons, and a single slider.

Ask a Question