Trouble Disassembling Prokeys 88

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I have got all the screws out from the back panel, and the bottom, but I cannot get any of the panels off, or the controller module out. I am afraid I will break something if I force it.

Reaction score
OK... the back panel came off; it was just a bit stuck. Getting the rest apart was a puzzle. I took pics, but I would not recommend anyone try this. Since I got the keyboard back together, I only have one piano sound, and most of the controls are not functioning.

If I get it fixed and I have a chance, I will post again. Thanks for looking.

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. These videos are what encouraged me to attempt the repair myself. I really need a schematic or at least someone who can tell me where these two washers came from...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I opened up my M-Audio Oxygen 49 last week myself to fix a dead Middle C key. In my case I had to open it up and clean the key contacts with isopropyl alcohol. There were no washers in mine.

I watched a few dozen of these sorts of repairs on youtube on all makes and models of keyboards before I had the nerve to do it myself.

You need a clean and uncluttered work surface and you have to be careful about collecting and sorting the screws when disassembling, paying close attention to where they go back.

At this point if all you have is two leftover washers it might not be the end of the world to leave them out.

Still if your sounds and controls are not working you probably have to reopen it and plug in some connectors that came loose.

Make DAMN CERTAIN that you don't plug them in reversed!!!!

It may not be a bad idea to document every step with a photograph just in case you missed something or forgot to reconnect something along the way.

As for a service manual, I can't find any at any of my usual sources but you might get lucky if you contact M-Audio directly and they may sell you one.

Hope this helps...

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks again Gary. I will have to open it up again and check all the connections. fortunately, the connectors are all keyed, and cannot be inserted backwards. I did photograph everything I could. I also made sure to label the cables with a permanent marker so they went back to the correct headers (I hope...)

I called M-audio to see if a service manual is available. The do not support this model at all.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
+1 for Kurzweil. I own a PC3K8. I'm very happy with it. Yamaha hates Linux so I hate Yamaha :p :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question