Trying to decide between MIDI controller and keyboard.

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post here and I'm trying to decide between a MIDI controller and a regular electronic keyboard.

I've been producing music for about 1 and a half years now as a hobby but I've always been held back by the fact that I can't play a lot of chords on a computer keyboard. That's why I decided I should probably buy one. I also love playing on the piano when I'm at my girlfriend's, she has a big one with weighted keys.

I know that MIDI controllers don't offer sound on their own without being connected to a PC but I don't really have a problem with that; I usually play when behind my computer anyway. But the thing is is that I'm scared there won't be any good software that will be able to use to make full use of the MIDI controller. I've used FL Studio for my producing and the MIDI input and the output of sound is a tiny bit delayed even on my keyboard. This makes me consider buying an electronic keyboard with MIDI support, so that I can play on and off the computer when I want to, however these usually come at a more expensive price range. In my price range, I'm worried about the quality of the midi controller or keyboard I might get. I really want 88 keys but I have about 400 dollars to spend

I already found some MIDI controllers I might be interested in:

Alesis Q88 USB-MIDI keyboard
M-Audio Keystation 88 (2014) USB MIDI keyboard

I can't find any good keyboards that are in that price range with 88 keys and MIDI I/O though...

Can you guys help me out! I'd appreciate the effort!

tl;dr
  • Have 400 dollars to spend
  • Trying to decide between MIDI controller or keyboard with MIDI I/O
  • Worried about quality of keyboards in that price range
  • Want to get best bang for buck
  • Worried about no good software being available for a midi controller so I can play like a "real" piano
  • Want 88 keys.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For a decent quality 88 Key MIDI Controller $400 to $800 is the correct ballpark.

There's plenty of great software out there for virtual instruments and DAWs so nothing to worry about there.

Usually the biggest drawback with VSTis and latency is the speed of your computer and the amount of crap you have loaded onto it.

Alesis makes some top notch controllers.

Other models to consider are the Arturia Keylab 88 which ships with a full suite of software VSTis. Well worth the money.

http://www.arturia.com/products/hybrid-synths/keylab88

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/arturia-keylab-88-keyboard-controller

and the Studiologic line of professional controllers.

http://www.studiologic-music.com/products/midi-controllers.html

Best bang for the buck is the Arturia though.

Then again sometimes you can find something decent in the used market.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question