Trying to narrow search for used keyboard.

Reaction score
Hi, new forum member here. I've been searching, reading and researching a lot here at Keyboardforums.com, but decided to register and ask for help directly. My primary instrument is currently guitar, but I'm wanting to switch to a keyboard so I can get in a band. It would appear good guitarists are a dime-a-dozen, and I'm not even all that good! :rolleyes:

We had a Yamaha P-120 here at home a few years ago and it was fun, but sold it because of lack of use. Now I'm looking for a more portable used keyboard that has at lease one very good piano sound, and one very good organ sound. $500~$750 is my budget. Genre mainly blues and rock.

What I'd really like to do is narrow my search down to one or two manufacturers and one or two model series. If I could narrow it down to a few specific models it would make my searching of the local Craig's List, eBay and other sources much easier. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the choices right now.

My requirements are weighted or semi-weighted keys. Weighs 50 pounds or less. Rugged enough to drag in and out of jams/gigs. At least one good organ and piano sound. $500~$750 used.

It doesn't need to be the latest and greatest with all the bells and whistles. In fact I'm counting on finding a completely acceptable keyboard that is a bit dated and greatly depreciated in value. Any suggestions to get me pointed in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jake

Reaction score
A used Yamaha p-120 might be good... it's got one good organ sound that you can alternate the leslie speed on... a good rhodes sound, good wurly (both of these are good sounds for rock) and a good piano sound. Might be slightly higher than your budget, but not too high as it's discontinued. Might be worh looking at, and it weighs about 40 pounds. There are other options I'm sure though.

Ask a Question