Turn off power while updating - Juno DI

Reaction score
I have a Roland Juno DI. My power supply has poor contact. When I was updating the keyboard, it hung up. When I turned it on again even without the USB stick the keyboard no longer starts. Just appears written ROLAND on the screen and is frozen in that. What could have happened?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The technical word for what you did is "Bricking your board."

Your keyboard is now a boat anchor.

Only a Roland certified tech can save it now. The ROMs have to be reflashed with a hardware programmer.

Contact Roland and get the address of the nearest authorized service center to you.

Or stick it in the garden and grow flowers in it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

One of the authorized ones that I contacted but didn't feel very confident said that the keyboard motherboard burned out, that the only solution is to replace the board and that Juno DI is not a very new keyboard but they will check with Roland if she has yet to provide a Juno DI motherboard. Do you agree?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sounds like a field tech who's not equipped to flash a ROM. Board swapping is the lazy man's solution but may still prove cheaper than shipping the board back to the factory for a reflash.

You could also try the nearest distributor of Roland Products in your area and see what they would charge for a repair. That may be your best option.

Or you could search ebay for a damaged DI with usable motherboard and swap the parts out yourself. This is probably what your local tech would do.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yup, you wiped out the brain of the device a keyboard in this case. Any device that is computer based like a computer, smartphone, keyboard, and on and on has PROM or shorthand ROM chips it stores its basic code to get the device to bootup enough so it can then load the operating system. You appear to have interrupted the ROM being updated so in basic terms you wiped out the brain of the keyboard.

So the brain needs its code reloaded or replace the ROM with one that still has the correct startup code. Any authorized dealer can do this and if you feel handy with tools maybe they can talk you thru removing the mainboard and shipping it to them to be updated.

Reaction score
Hello my friends. I need to give you feedback on my keyboard that miraculously re-worked without having to go to the service desk.

I went to reuse the flash drive I used to update the keyboard and noticed that the size of the update BIN file was 0. Out of curiosity I deleted and put back the original BIN file on the flash drive and put it on the keyboard to see what happened. It simply updated again and went back to work. 400 dollars in savings. Think of a happy person and multiply by 1000. Thank you all.

Ask a Question