TV sound bar

Reaction score
Newbe, beginner here. Has anyone used a TV sound bar for a home amp situation? I have the Yamaha DGX 670 and guess what.... It's not very loud. I like to have the stereo sound so one amp is not what i want. i have room behind the keyboard for a sound bar.
Right now i am using a old stereo receiver and a couple of bookshelf speakers. It's working ok but looking for something better with out breaking the bank.
Ideas, comments are welcome.
Thanks

Reaction score
Do correct me if I am wrong but are not soundbars intended to provide a fake surround sound environment?

You are probably best advised to research further using a pair of Monitors and at some point adding a sub-woofer and maybe a parametric equilizer to give you the best sound for your environment.

Check out a pair of PreSonus Eris 5 Ex monitors @ c$300 US.

Reaction score
Do correct me if I am wrong but are not soundbars intended to provide a fake surround sound environment?

You are probably best advised to research further using a pair of Monitors and at some point adding a sub-woofer and maybe a parametric equilizer to give you the best sound for your environment.

Check out a pair of PreSonus Eris 5 Ex monitors @ c$300 US.
I dont think they are fake. I have a Sony sound bar on my Sony TV and it (the sound) just sounds better. More fidelity.
Yes i have been looking at the Presonus powered speakers along with some other brands. The PreSonus ones seem to be out of stock. Wondering if you have heard the iLoud monitor speakers? https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro...ite-pair?rNtt=powered studio monitors&index=5 These interest me because they are a little smaller.
Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Listen man. If it sounds good to you then that's all that matters.

When I first started playing I was first plugging into the stereo, then I moved on to 2.1 computer speakers, THEN I picked up some M-Audio 5 inch monitors when I could afford them. I still use them for recording to this day.

The Eris E5 are also very nice and I currently also own a set of those.

Audio is always a very subjective thing for everyone and you honestly have to let your own ears be the judge or at least learn to read the audio specs before you buy.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I dont think they are fake. I have a Sony sound bar on my Sony TV and it (the sound) just sounds better. More fidelity.
Yes i have been looking at the Presonus powered speakers along with some other brands. The PreSonus ones seem to be out of stock. Wondering if you have heard the iLoud monitor speakers? https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/ik-multimedia-iloud-micro-monitor-in-white-pair?rNtt=powered studio monitors&index=5 These interest me because they are a little smaller.
Thanks!

Some are fake, they achieve the surround effect by processing the audio signals to simulate the effect whilst others bounce the sound off walls by angling some of the speakers

My concern is that if you have effects on your keyboard then feeding the audio into a processing device may not give you the audio quality what you seek compared to a pair of monitors.

If the soundbar on your TV is detachable can you not try it with your DGX and you could also feed your output into the TV and through to the soundbar.

Reaction score
Listen man. If it sounds good to you then that's all that matters.

When I first started playing I was first plugging into the stereo, then I moved on to 2.1 computer speakers, THEN I picked up some M-Audio 5 inch monitors when I could afford them. I still use them for recording to this day.

The Eris E5 are also very nice and I currently also own a set of those.

Audio is always a very subjective thing for everyone and you honestly have to let your own ears be the judge or at least learn to read the audio specs before you buy.

Gary ;)
Thanks for the input.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's a suggestion.

Buy a set of these

And get an adapter to plug into your keyboard.

For a DGX, I assume there are no proper line outs so you use the headphone jack as an output.

Make sure you go into the menus and find the headphone jack setting and switch it over to line level.

If it does have proper line outs then you would use this adapter instead.

Then you should be good to go.

This is absolutely the cheapest way to get started for full frequency monitors.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Here's a suggestion.

Buy a set of these

And get an adapter to plug into your keyboard.

For a DGX, I assume there are no proper line outs so you use the headphone jack as an output.

Make sure you go into the menus and find the headphone jack setting and switch it over to line level.

If it does have proper line outs then you would use this adapter instead.

Then you should be good to go.

This is absolutely the cheapest way to get started for full frequency monitors.

Gary ;)
Hey Gary, Believe it or not i have a pair of those on my computer for iTunes playback and they are fantastic! I tried them on the DGX and they sounded good but distorted at higher volumes. Maybe i didn't have the menu setting right. I will try to dig in the menu to see if there is a different setting. Thanks for the heads up!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Enjoy, and just for the record, any full range audio amp/speaker speaker will work with a keyboard as long as line levels are compatible. About 10 mVpp. Your DGX is currently outputting headphone levels, about a Volt or two peak to peak. It's the reason for the distortion. Those Yamaha's have a switch in the menus to bring the headphones down from headphone to line levels.

Pay attention to this setting. Overdriving a line level input can and will eventually burn out the input.

Guitars and microphones use much lower outputs than keyboards.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Enjoy, and just for the record, any full range audio amp/speaker speaker will work with a keyboard as long as line levels are compatible. About 10 mVpp. Your DGX is currently outputting headphone levels, about a Volt or two peak to peak. It's the reason for the distortion. Those Yamaha's have a switch in the menus to bring the headphones down from headphone to line levels.

Pay attention to this setting. Overdriving a line level input can and will eventually burn out the input.

Guitars and microphones use much lower outputs than keyboards.

Gary ;)
Thanks!!

Reaction score
Some are fake, they achieve the surround effect by processing the audio signals to simulate the effect whilst others bounce the sound off walls by angling some of the speakers

My concern is that if you have effects on your keyboard then feeding the audio into a processing device may not give you the audio quality what you seek compared to a pair of monitors.

If the soundbar on your TV is detachable can you not try it with your DGX and you could also feed your output into the TV and through to the soundbar.
Biggles,
Sorry for the delay. My keyboard is on a stand that has wheels. I'll just roll it over and give it a try. Great suggestion!
Thanks!
d

Ask a Question