Two audio sources on headphones at same time?

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have a Roland Juno DS-88. I have to use headphones because of the other folks in my building etc. I enjoy however playing on top of backing tracks. So what I'm trying to do is get audio from two sources on my headphones, from the keyboard itself and at the same time from my computer where I'll be playing Spotify or Youtube for example. What's the simplest way to do this? What kind of adapter or equipment would be best?

Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
He mentioned he was playing to recordings on Spotify and Youtube on his computer.

The Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer is ideal for his needs.

Just feed the Roland to Channels 1 & 2 and feed the output of his soundcard to the 2 track inputs and plug the headphones directly into the unit.

He'd still have two more unused channels he could use to feed in a drum machine or another synth plus even a Mic input for vocals.

For under $40 USD I really think this is his best bet all around.

The Rolls could also work but being a passive unit he'd have to feed his sources at higher levels and require an amp to plug his phones into.

Playing MIDI backing tracks on the Juno only works if he can find the songs he wants in MIDI or MIDI Karaoke format and at the right price.

Actually there's no reason why both solutions can't be applied on the same rig.

It's just better if he has more options.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually I just looked at the back of my Juno DS61 and it DOES have a 3.5 mm ext input jack as well as a Mic input for the vocoder functions.

A quick glance at the manual says it's a line level input suitable for ipod inputs.

This means the original poster can simply run a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm stereo cable from his sound card's output directly to the Juno and play along with whatever he'd like.

This all all that he needs.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MU6MMS-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio/dp/B004G7Q56G/

Still I do recommend a mixer for more sophisticated hookups.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yeah I just tested it out on my Juno with an MP3 Player.

It works but there's no way to control the volume of the feedthru from the keyboard. You have to rely on the volume control at the source to set the levels.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yeah, thats what I had to do with my Yamaha, but the Korg I now have has inbuilt USB and SD slots hence backing mp3 tracks are in the keyboard and have a seperate volume control.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually the Juno DS also has a USB Drive slot that allows not only firmware updates and new patches to be loaded but also has an MP3 player which can play backing tracks as well.

I've been saying for the past year that the Juno DS is not only the best bang for the buck available in ROMplers out there but also that it's the Swiss Army Knife of performance synths/workstations. :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question