Two keyboards: dead keys...

Reaction score
First off, hello to everyone. First post so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I have two keyboards. A Fatar Studiologic SL-161 master (dumb), and A Clavia Nord Lead 2 synth.

Both of them have dead (ish) keys. The Fatar has two, A1 and D4. However, they're not completely dead, if I give them a good whack they sound.

The Nord has a stranger issue. Bb2 never worked. I gave it to a technician to fix an unrelated problem with the outputs. I forgot to tell him about the dead key. When I got it back the dead key had moved! Bb2 was now working and I can't remember which note, but another stopped working.

What's going on here? Is it just dirt/grease under the keys maybe? I'm happy to take them apart and have some isopropyl if that might do the trick?

Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No prob. Take lots of photos or make a video when you take it apart to make damned sure it all goes back together properly.

It's either a dirty or a misaligned or a broken contact strip under the notes in question.

!) Try cleaning with 90% Isopropyl alcohol. Be VERY careful not to invert the contact strips when you replace them. Be careful when forcing them back in the holes. They can be very delicate.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
No prob. Take lots of photos or make a video when you take it apart to make damned sure it all goes back together properly.

It's either a dirty or a misaligned or a broken contact strip under the notes in question.

!) Try cleaning with 90% Isopropyl alcohol. Be VERY careful not to invert the contact strips when you replace them. Be careful when forcing them back in the holes. They can be very delicate.

Gary ;)
Thank you Gary. Cleaned everything with vacuum, compressed air and isopropyl alcohol. Cleaning off the old grease took forever. Clean as a whistle now. Going to start reassembly when I find out what grease I need for the keys.. Will keep you posted.

Ask a Question