two keyboards one pair headphones

Reaction score
Hi, new on hear, hope you can help. All i want to do is play two keyboards through one pair of headphones, but one keyboard is allways very quiet whilst other is fine. I am plugging in a splitter cable to the headphone outlets of both keyboards. namely a 2x 6.5mm stereo jacks to 1x 6.5mm stereo socket. The jacks into the synths and the socket i plug in headphones. Do i need really good quality cables, or some kind of simple headphone amp etc. Any help would be great thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Stop feeding two active circuits into a single load thru a passive splitter immediately. You are asking for all sorts of problems.

Get a proper mixer or headphone amp like one from these guys immediately.

http://www.rolls.com/

The Y_man

Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
p.s. Happyrat beat me to it while I was typing and looking up the mixer model! :)

You snoozed you loozed :D Seriously though, that Behringer 502 is ideal for the setup he described. Though if I were he I'd be looking for a local vendor or at least an etailer in his own country.

Ebay being what it is and not to mention the differences in power supplies it depends what country he's in where he should buy and whatever UL standards may apply.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you, you have more than answered my question. I thaught that perhaps it seemed odd to feed two lots of signals into one pair of headphones.

Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're very welcome Mark. And a frostbitten pinch of the Royals' buttcheeks from the colonial splendor that is and was the great white north, Canada... ;)

Reaction score
You're very welcome Mark. And a frostbitten pinch of the Royals' buttcheeks from the colonial splendor that is and was the great white north, Canada... ;)[/quot
Hi gary, hope you dont mind but have one more question. got the behringer 502 xeynx mixer, and have connected both keyboards using a stereo 1/4 inch plug from the headphone output of both keyboards into two of the input sockets on the mixer, which is also stereo 1/4 inch as well. i have found that i need to pull the 1/4inch plugs going into the mixer out a bit untill the sound is good and clear which makes me think i should be using mono cables. Any ideas. Mark

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Good God! Those are mono sockets on that mixer. You need a couple of 1/4" stereo to 1/4" Mono adapters on them. Stop trying to use the stereo plugs into that mixer. Read the manual that came with the mixer to see what sort or inputs and outputs it takes and post us here if you have any further questions.

Use one of these on each keyboard's headphone out

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-Jack-6-35mm-STEREO-PLUG-2-MONO-Sockets-SPLITTER-/360179886720

And then some standard 1/4" mono instrument patch cables to connect to the mixer. You'll need 4 of them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10FT-6-35...?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5645ed33ee

And turn all the output levels on your keyboard and mixer way down and gradually inch them up til they reach acceptable levels.

BTW, do your keyboards have 1/4" mono lines out? What make and model keyboards are they exactly? If so, don't bother using the headphone jacks. Just plug directly from keyboard lines out to mixer and then use headphones plugged into the mixer's headphone out.

BTW, you don't necessarily have to buy the above items from Amazon. If you're in a hurry you should be able to find them at a musical instrument shop or a Radio Shack or whatever the UK equivalent is.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's a diagram showing roughly how it should be hooked up.

mixer-headphone-jpg.256

Either plug the 1/4" mono instrument patch cables thru the stereo to mono splitter/adaptors to the headphones out

or preferably

just plug the 1/4" mono cables directly to the 1/4" mono line outputs of your keyboards if they have them.

Depends on make and model of keyboard. Most low end consumer keyboards have no line outs but most professional quality gear will have 1/4 mono line outs.

Attachments

• mixer-headphone.jpg
    mixer-headphone.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,890

Ask a Question