Two tier keyboard stand and ideas

Reaction score
Regarding legs, my Fender Rhodes and my Clavinet both had legs that screwed into the bottom of the keyboard. The on,y problem I ever had with them was that the legs were too short too play when standing up.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I was thinking along the lines of the keyboard itself having integral legs (foldable or retractable) Not talking about tables Gary! Tables are for putting drinks on!

Besides catastriopic failure can be avoided if engineered properly.

What we need is design engineers to develop a method of housing built in legs to portable keyboards.
Forget about Z stands and X stands.

I put forward a proposal for consideration and development . . :eek:
So imagine a standard everyday keyboard example DS61 or PSR S770 . . just use these two for my experiment . .

At the bottom of these keyboards is a moulded canopy specially shaped for housing legs. These legs fold down and securely lock into place at the 4 corners of the keyboard. These legs are engineered to be simple sturdy and robust. They will be adjustable for height. The two back legs will have bolt holes or brackets to enable second and third tiers to be fitted on site if needed.

Introducing the new model DS 61 WL
Also the PSR S770 WL

WL = WITH LEGS.

If you don't wish to have legs then you can buy the LL models DS 61 LL or PSR S770 LL

LL = LEGLESS (lol)

The buyer has a choice . . With Legs or Without Legs

What a great idea!:D:rolleyes:

So Yamaha and Roland and others . . get onto this!
Send all royalties to the "rayblewit preservation of good ideas fund"

;)Ray

While Biggles posted the Technics Organ as a Joke I was about to mention both the Hammond SK line and the Fender Rhodes which DO come with attachable legs (Not telescopic)

However, what you are suggesting Ray would add 30% to Double the weight of some keyboards and how would you stack them if they had legs attached at the factory?

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Chris >>> I bow to your thorough research. Apparently you have a solid idea of what you are looking for in this rig and have done your homework. I was merely worried since $10K is a lot of coin to drop on a single purchase and you always end up losing money when you turn around and resell a few months or a year later :)

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Chris >>> I bow to your thorough research. Apparently you have a solid idea of what you are looking for in this rig and have done your homework. I was merely worried since $10K is a lot of coin to drop on a single purchase and you always end up losing money when you turn around and resell a few months or a year later :)

Gary ;)
Thank you Gary and thank you for the concern!. Yes, i learnt the hard way regarding reselling keyboards. After all said and done i think i lost about $600 on my Nord Stage 3 i sold thats why i tried to do as much homework as i could with this set up. I sold the Nord on ebay but with fee's ect....:(.

Reaction score
Very much like a Fender Rhodes Stage Piano. I had a Mark 1 many years ago just after the discovery of electricity.
The back legs also had diagonal supports and the front legs were telescopic. I used to put the back legs on wooden supports, extend the front legs so I could play it standing up. I kind of wish I had never sold it but then I feel that way about every keyboard I've ever owned. I'm sure most of us feel that way.

Reaction score
Any suggestions would be great.
Hi Chris,

My setup below if it helps - I posted this before somewhere, not sure exactly where so I thought I'd repost here. The relevant part for you is the left hand side of the picture.

I've been using the K&M 18880 for about two years now and seriously love it. It's not cheap but it's the lightest two tier stand with the quickest set up time of anything I've ever tried before.

tumblr_p3r8m90liZ1ual3guo1_1280.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

My setup below if it helps - I posted this before somewhere, not sure exactly where so I thought I'd repost here. The relevant part for you is the left hand side of the picture.

I've been using the K&M 18880 for about two years now and seriously love it. It's not cheap but it's the lightest two tier stand with the quickest set up time of anything I've ever tried before.

tumblr_p3r8m90liZ1ual3guo1_1280.jpg

Many thanks!, gives me some ideas!

Reaction score
So this is my set up now. Took me three hours last night to find out why i was not able to get any sound through my Genos when trying to hook both up to my Monitors. I then realised there is a knob called "Gain - Peak" that was turned off. Once i turned that up i was well away :). I have two stands, a two tier X stand at the back and a Z stand for the Montage in the front. It works a treat.

a1.jpg

Reaction score
Hahaha :) Thank you Gary. Yeah, now comes the hard bit, learning how to operate them lol. So far.... Wow !! i am amazed at the voices are incredible

Reaction score
I've been using the K&M 18880 for about two years now
Although Chris is already set with his 2-stand combo, the K&M18880 with the 18881 stacker flipped backwards would be my choice for a single stand in this situation, i.e. if you want two boards in as "organ like" a configuration as possible (both manuals flat, second manual above and behind the first, with as little space between them as possible, with all controls fully accessible).

the only thing missing from the Montage is a sequencer and that's easily added with a laptop or an ipad....I still maintain that a workstation encourages you to experiment more with sounds than an arranger.
The same laptop/ipad sequencer you can use with a Montage you can also use with a Tyros... but you don't have to, since unlike the Montage, the Tyros does include a full function MIDI sequencer. The Tyros arranger functions, then, are not a substitute for the kind of sequencing you prefer, but rather an addition. Both approaches can be useful for composition or for backing tracks. A sequencer lets you precisely control every part; an arranger lets you much more quickly get a rough arrangement together without having to precisely control every part, generating it in real-time as you play. Tyros includes both functions.

Another nice thing about an arranger is, if you are entertaining people (whether at a party at home, or hired as one-man entertainment), and you like to play with backing tracks, you're not limited to the songs you have pre-sequenced . With an arranger, someone has a request, you know the song well enough to fake it... you hit a button and play it with full backing tracks, with no advance prep. (And of course, you're getting better quality backing tracks on a Genos than on a cheap arranger.) Also, improvising with an arranger is kind of like jamming with a band... you may not know exactly what everyone else is going to be playing, but hearing what they play can in turn prompt you to play something yourself that you might not have come up with otherwise. OTOH, you can't improv over a sequence until you compose the sequence. The point is, there are creative uses for both approaches.

But personally, the biggest appeal of the Genos for me might be the sounds. As MMM said, the Genos offers a different sound set, and it's a lot more than an extra "electronic piano sound." Something MMM didn't mention is the AEM (Articulation Element Modeling) used in their SA2 voices, which Yamaha describes this way:

"This technology simulates the subtle nuances and performance characteristics of musical instruments. When you play, Genos automatically chooses appropriate samples in real time, according to what and how you play. Samples are smoothly joined and articulated, just as they would naturally occur on an acoustic instrument."

Basically, a lot of acoustic instruments sound better and play more naturally/realistically on a Tyros, than on a Montage or on possibly anything else. There's some interesting basic info about this at http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-articulation-future/
So even if you don't care about the arranger functions, if you want a keyboard with the best sounding live-playable non-keyboard acoustic instrument emulations, it's probably Tyros.

Reaction score
Past 12 years I have used Tyros + NP30 Twinset.
Tyros is split 1st key left. (Lower is muted so can be placed close to upper as per organ) used to trigger upper ACC, Styles. Upper now has full 60 keys (less 1st C split) for melody gives room for alternative voice zones.

Attachments

• T2 Plus NP30. MordauntShort Speakers..jpg
    T2 Plus NP30. MordauntShort Speakers..jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 188

Ask a Question