Ultra Portable Keys needed

Reaction score
Hello to whom this may concern.
You guys probably have the answer I'm looking for.
Straight to it, this is a product question. I'm looking for a springed key keyboard that is battery powered and is very portable having an output for headphones(so I can play w/o a laptop) and I am OK with no speakers. Just want the a standard piano
virtual sound, harpsi. and organ. I was originally looking at theM-Audio KeyRig 49 USB/MIDI Controller(the perfect size I'm looking for but could go a little larger if needed), but dissuaded by the lack of battery power. Then looked at the E-MU Xboard 49 USB/MIDI Controller; which has a battery option, but am unsure of being able to listen to myself without having to plug into a laptop. I know these are both midi controllers but I'm looking for this similar size. most keyboards I see, all seem to have huge bodies in which to house their large speakers, I just want to cut away the fat,so to speak.
Please Help, Thank You
Also 4 octave minimum and under $200

Reaction score
Both of those boards are midi controllers - they won't make any sounds unless connected to a laptop or other sound module. I'm not sure you can get something with sounds but no speakers in that price bracket, but I'll have a look around.

Reaction score
Thanks Mourndark, Yeah I don't want to have to hook myself to a laptop just to hear myself play, but standard keyboards all seem to have huge housing or look kid like, and their midi comrades are to computer dependent. Me and my brothers are going for long backpacking trips next year and I don't want to get that rusty. So need something to fit in a backpack. Thanks everyone

Reaction score
You might check out the Yamaha NP30 piano. It costs a little more that $200, but sounds like it might fit your described wants.
B3

Reaction score
Thanks B3, I am definitely considering the Np30, however I was hoping for a smaller midi controller sized keyboard.(NOT with MINI Keys) Thanks Keyboardists'. Also Gossling's thread on ultra portable keys seems simalar to my own. I need both hands, battery operated and small overall sized body(with normal springed keys) You would think with so many people on this planet playing and learning there would be a market for this common portable device.

Ask a Question