Unusual Problem with Roland AX-7`

Reaction score
Okay, I'll preface this with an apology for coming here just to troubleshoot. I've got quite shakey knowledge of the topic.

I've recently inherited a Roland AX-7, being the only other musician in the family. It's been a bit of a crash-course into Midi Controllers (I'm primarily an Accordion player, and this is my first electric instrument, let alone MIDI).

So far I've got it set up on a laptop running Windows 8.1, with ASIO4All, CoolSoft Virtual Midi Synth, and Anvil Studio. Playing it is fine, until I hit patch up/down, or otherwise, change patch. When I do this, a note is continuously played. I believe it is note 91/G6.

Below is what the AX-7 is sending when I change patch.

d43f7fb5d0f87c8451a2d600f7fdad6d.png

Can anyone explain why it is doing this? From what I know about midi controllers, there's no reason it should be sending a NoteOn command when changing patch. I've done a factory reset, so it's nothing to do with what's left. It could be the fact I'm using a very cheap cable as well.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
When it comes to sofware synths either wave a dead chicken or throw money at it :D

If it has proper MIDI ports I'd suggest picking up a Ketron SD1 or SD2 sound module and hooking it up directly.

Hardware synths are a lot less persnickety ;)

Gary

Reaction score
Gary,

Thank you for your reply. As I understand, (and do correct me if I'm wrong), then if the AX-7 is sending the NoteOn then it doesn't matter if I use a software or a hardware synth, as it's the controller sending the message?

ketronmusic co uk/Products/Ketron/micro_modules/sd2

Would this be what I want? I'm hesitant to put money into it, as it's not something I know that much about.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try bringing the AX-7 to a local music store and ask if you can test a hardware synth rack module with it. If the problem is solved then you know the problem is probably the soft synth you are using.

If it still occurs with a hardware module then you'll know it's some setting in the AX-7.

BTW is there a factory reset button sequence on that thing just to eliminate any possible misconfiguration of the keytar?

The SD2 is still a good investment if you don't want to have to be tied to a laptop whenever you use the Keytar.

It seems to have been replaced by the SD4 these days but you can still score some discontinued old stock or used on ebay.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One other thing to check is what controller the soft synth and the keytar are using for bank changes.

There are usually four possible methods.

Normal, Controller 0, Controller 32 and Patch 127.

Both the VSTi and the controller must be using the same method to work properly.

Gary

Ask a Question