Updating my Keyboard (hopefully)

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha PSR E453 that I purchased some time back and want to upgrade to ? I intended to do this last year but due to illness, had to put it on hold.
Okay, I've been eyeing off the SX900, bit beyond my budget, but at a stretch, maybe. Thing is I would like a 76 keys keyboard, looked at the SX700 but 61 keys, so went backwards a bit to the EW300 76 keys, but of course it doesn't have all he bells and whistles of the more expensive ones. So I've hit a brick wall, not knowing what to spend my money on, best bang for my buck so to speak. I like the bigger keyboard, but don't want to buy it and find it lacking in features. Is there a 76 available comparable to the SX900 with similar features? I would appreciate your comments ladies and gents. By the way, if the lotto numbers come up in the meantime, I'm going Genos :)

Don

Reaction score
76 keys in an Arranger and you will struggle but there are options.

Read my brief review of a my recent back to back playing of 5 arrangers.

The SX range are a quantum leap over the S range imho, but still not superior to the respective Korg. One thing Korg excels at is support especially for its arrangers is free additional content in Bonusware and via Korg UK there is Osimo and the fully interactive Webinars that occur monthly, see korgworld.co.uk and follow the link for past episodes.

In fact if you watch the Christmas webinar you will see a Korg B2N MIDI’d to an Arranger thus having 88 keys to use with all the sounds of the Arranger available on the 88 keys.

I cannot understand anyone buying a Genos, they are grossly over priced, here in the UK for the same cash as a Genos you could buy a Korg Pa4X 76 & a Korg Kross 2. Yes, the Genos is good but it is not better than a Pa4X.

You will find the SX menu system vastly different to the E series, it is in fact more like a Korg menu system so that is another thing to consider.

Why not spend an afternoon in a Music Store playing them all?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You might be able to find a used Tyros5-76 that someone is wanting to sell so they can get a Genos or PSR-SX900.

Otherwise, if you're seriously considering a PSR-EW300, then you might want to consider a PSR-EW410 instead. Of course, a PSR-EW300 will have even less features than your PSR-E453, and a PSR-EW410 will be very similar to your PSR-E453 aside from having more keys and a few additional features.

Those are just the Yamaha arrangers. You could look into other brands, but I'm not familiar enough to suggest any specific models.

Reaction score
Not that much of a market for quality arrangers in the mid to high price range, less for more than 61 keys.

All I can think of is:-

Roland EA7
Roland EO9
Korg Pa 700 / 1000 / 4X (61 & 76 versions)
Yamaha SX 700 / 900 / Genos 76 ($6000, plus $350 for the speaker system, ouch)
Kursweil KP 150 which just sneaks in at $500
Casio MZ X500 c$1000

I have yet to get my hands on a Roland arranger and Kursweil are very rare in the music stores over here.

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks very much for your input and suggestions, which I will check out. I'm in no hurry, so I can have a look, listen and play and then make a (hopefully) educated decision. YouTube helps cut down the footwork, for finding out the various features. When I get to the short list I will hit the stores for a hands on experience. Thanks again to all for your help.

Don

Reaction score
Wise move.

I suggest you hang on at least until NAMM is over, it is mid January. Any new keyboards may well be released or demo’d then.

BTW
Korg have on their Youtube channel labelled as Video Manual a series of get you started videos on each of their arrangers, I doubt if Yamaha have anything comparable but a search will reveal if they do.

Watching the Korg Video Manual series for say the Pa700 will stand youon good ground when you come to play both theirs and the Yamaha’s since the operation of each make is very similar.

Reaction score
Would you mind a full-size 88-key keyboard ?
The Casio PX-S3000 is a digital piano, synth with good arranger functionalities built-in. Of course, the arranger section can't be compared with the likes of the Korg PA700 or the new Yamaha SX700 etc. but you may want to take a look at it.

For the past few months, I have been reading a lot of reviews and been watching lots or youtube videos on different keyboards and the PX-S3000 got more or less rave reviews everywhere, as it's a bit of a jack-of-all-trades, but not really lacking on any level. Could be worth a look.
Alternatively, there's also the Casio WK-7600, 76 keys, but it is an older board. Another 'older' option to consider is again a Casio, the PX-560, which is kind of the unofficial predecessor of the PX-S3000, but I believe its arranger functions are not that good.

Reaction score
Would you mind a full-size 88-key keyboard ?
The Casio PX-S3000 is a digital piano, synth with good arranger functionalities built-in. Of course, the arranger section can't be compared with the likes of the Korg PA700 or the new Yamaha SX700 etc. but you may want to take a look at it.

For the past few months, I have been reading a lot of reviews and been watching lots or youtube videos on different keyboards and the PX-S3000 got more or less rave reviews everywhere, as it's a bit of a jack-of-all-trades, but not really lacking on any level. Could be worth a look.
Alternatively, there's also the Casio WK-7600, 76 keys, but it is an older board. Another 'older' option to consider is again a Casio, the PX-560, which is kind of the unofficial predecessor of the PX-S3000, but I believe its arranger functions are not that good.

Thanks mate, I am checking out anything and everything right now.

Reaction score
Wise move.

I suggest you hang on at least until NAMM is over, it is mid January. Any new keyboards may well be released or demo’d then.

BTW
Korg have on their Youtube channel labelled as Video Manual a series of get you started videos on each of their arrangers, I doubt if Yamaha have anything comparable but a search will reveal if they do.

Watching the Korg Video Manual series for say the Pa700 will stand youon good ground when you come to play both theirs and the Yamaha’s since the operation of each make is very similar.

Thanks for the extra tips. With Christmas on the doorstep, I wont have much time to chase suggestions, except by computer, so mid to end of January will work nicely. I'll check YouTube for the Korg manuals you mention. Thanks

Merry Christmas
Don

Ask a Question