Upgrading a keyboard after 7 years of playing

Reaction score
This is my first post here on this forum so Hello to everyone.

I've been playing keyboard since 2012 and I'm thinking of upgrading my instrument.

I was learning for my own and at the moment I am familiar with basic chords and some basic scales what allows me to play majority of popular songs on the basis of chord lists. I am also familiar with basics of musical notation, but I strongly prefer to play by chords or by ear. For some time I was playing with my friend's band and I played on stage twice.

What I find tough is improvising and feeling free playing, I mean I lack the ability of playing something original, something own.

What I have now is Yamaha YPT-220 keyboard. I'm thinking about upgrading to Nord Electro of any generation. What do you think?

Reaction score
Welcome.

The sales guy at my local music store was on a high when I last went in, he had just been playing for the first time a Nord piano 4.

Me I would rather have the Stage 3 which I played a few months ago and loved it.

The Electro does get good reviews so if that is what you fancy then why not.

Its a case of deciding which variant to go for.

Worth going to a music store and playing as manydifferent keyboards as you can within your price range as it will give you an idea of what else is available.

I also suggest that you have a serious look at a Roland Juno DS 88, OK it may not look as good by a long way as a Nord but they sound and play very well indeed plus they are cheaper than a Nord.

Reaction score
What I have now is Yamaha YPT-220 keyboard. I'm thinking about upgrading to Nord Electro of any generation. What do you think?
There are so many boards to choose from, what drew you to the Electro?

Electro's strengths are pianos and organs (though only Electro 3 and up are strong on acoustic pianos).

Reaction score
If you are going to go the Electro route I would recommend no older than the Electro 3. With the 3 you can use different instruments from the Nord Library and have choices of different acoustic pianos. With the original Electro and Electro 2 you cannot load in different pianos. The Electro 3 also has the Nord C1 equivalent organ which is a step up from the original and E2. the Original Nord and E2 technology are rather old, even the Electro 3 is 10 years old but I think you'll find the couple of hundred dollars cost difference between the E2 and E3 are worth it. Keep in mind that all Electro's prior to the Electro 5 are mono timbral, meaning you can only play one sound at a time, i.e. piano, organ, EP, clav, etc.. you can't play piano and organ at the same time. If you need this convenience then you are now in Electro 5 territory.....

Reaction score
Again the question though - why the Electro?

You need to ask:

Do I want to play PIANO/EPs, or ORGAN, or SYNTH primarily.

If its piano - you want a weighted board - the Nord Piano or stage 3 88 - IF you go Nord, but there are a lot of others out there.
If its organ you really want a waterfall keybed - the Nord Electros have these as do teh Roland VRs
if its synth - then pick a synth or workstation. The Nords are not great here - unless you go for a Lead (4 or A1) as a synth. They dont have a workstation really.

If you want a combo of them all, you need to prioritise the sounds and keybed you want. IMO non of the Nords are great all rounders. Only the Stage has a decent synth - and its decent but thats all really - and orchestral sounds are week.

Next question - whats your budget. That will give some indication of what you can go for that fits the answer to Q1.

Ultimately, if your on budget - Id stay clear of Nords. They are great at what they do - but come at a price premium. You can get something almost as good - and possible better (depending on your needs) for a lot less.

Reaction score
Not being condesending, it sounds like Nord maybe a little expensive for your ability level. They make many good keyboards for half the price. I have a Nord, a Kurzweil and a Roland. The first two have weighted keys the Roland does not.

Reaction score
I love it when they post a question then burn a bunch of people's time trying to help them and never respond or return.

Ask a Question