Upgrading from PSR-3000 ... Advice please!

Reaction score
Dear All,

I am in the process of upgrading my long-held and beloved PSR-3000. I'm really not familiar with brands other than Yamaha, and even then am not very familiar with other models. If I tell you what I'm looking for, could anyone offer some advice?

So ...

Budget: Approximately €1500

To be used for: Composing at home. On the PSR-3000, I loved the different voices, rhythms and especially the multi-track recorder. This allowed me to build up my compositions, which were generally of the EDM, techno, pop or singer-songwriter varieties of music.

Drawbacks with the PSR-3000: Not enough rhythms of the type I wanted (dance and electro), and difficulty fine editing the recorded parts on the multi-track recorder (I usually ended up just recording the entire part again). Also, there are relatively few voice editing functions - I think I would enjoy tinkering with the voices or creating new ones entirely.

Wasted functions: I do not use the style accompaniments *at all*. Having learnt as a pianist when I was younger, I do not like the solid chord + right hand style of playing, nor do I like using someone else's music (other than beats and rhythms) when I play. Therefore, pretty much all of my finished tracks are composed by me from the rhythm up.

So ... can anyone help?

I love the PSR voices, and love the multi-track recorder. I have played a Tyros 3, and absolutely loved it - however I'm aware that there is an entire section of the instrument (the styles and accompaniments) that would be completely wasted on me. Also, I'm not sure if Yamaha are a brand that are particularly dance, EDM, etc, orientated.

Any suggestions?

Thank you all so much in advance!

Eddie

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yamaha has just released a few new professional arrangers I think the 670, the 770 and the 970

Then there's the Korg PA-300, PA-600 and PA-900

Or if you want to consider a full blown workstation the Roland FA-08 looks pretty good these days and should fit your budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhpVAhmrEdA

You might want to consider some recently discontinued models instead if you'd like to save a few bucks on a clearance or floor demo item.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you Gary.

After much research, this is where I think I'm going:

A Yamaha PSR-S950
An Akai MPK2

I think if I had those two pieces of kit, I would be able to do pretty much all I want to do.

I saw on your Soundcloud page that you like EDM-type music too. Any personal suggestions?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
On my wishlist is a Korg Electribe 2. That would handle all the EDM beats til doomsday.

Personally I'm not a big Yamaha fan simply because Yamaha is not a Linux friendly company. I run an all Linux studio so that's a dealbreaker for me.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I must admit I'm probably sticking with Yamaha because I know them - I like their sound, although they're probably not the most EDM-friendly brand. Hopefully, with the Akai midi-controller (which should arrive in the next day or so), I can branch out into some non-Yamaha sounds. Regarding an OS, this will be my first time using a computer to record and edit my music - I'm not particularly IT savvy, so this is a whole new and scary world for me! : o )

Ask a Question