Upgrading my Keyboard Amp, Help Please

Reaction score
Hi, I am using a Carlsbro K115 Keyboard Amp at the moment with my Fantom X8, Its quite nice for the synth sounds but lacks feeling a little on the piano sounds,

I listened to a Roland KC350 in the music store and it was great but rather dear.
I would like to know if I can use powered speakers such as the Mackie SRM450,
I require them for pub / WMclub use.

These mackies are also expensive but can do multiple tasks, as well as using them for the keyboard I could use them for other things as well.
Would the sound quality be poorer than the dedicated roland items because the Mackies are not dedicated keyboard amp speakers or would they be better?.
Thanks for any help / suggestions,
Regards bren

Reaction score
Hi. I'm not sure I understood that last Ymmv part. Please explain that.
Also. This sounds quite good. I heard the kc and thought it was good but you think it's poor compared To another brand? Please tell me what you would recommend as these will probably blow my socks off if they are better than the kc350 I heard.

Reaction score
From another keyboard forum, the QSC K12 is getting high reviews. Another well thought of speaker/power set-up for keys is the Accugroove with QSC power, and the Motion Sound KP500 (stereo) amo. "YMMV" , I believe = "Your milage May Vary"
as many things about keys and speakers/amps can be very subjective.
I've used Peavey and Roland keyboards amps in the past, and I thought both of mine
were mediocre at best. These days the pwered speakers seem to be in vogue over the few available dedicated keyboard amps.

However, I currently use the Motion Sound KP200S, which is considered underpowered by some. At nomimal volumns, it sounds great for pianos and clonewheels. AND, it is stereo in one box.
If you gig with a loud band, the KP500 has more power.
B3

Reaction score
From reading reviews the Mackie's aren't great, like B3 said the QSCs and the Accugrooves would be better to check out, or EV SXA360, but yes, your idea of using powered speakers is a good one.

Reaction score
I've been really happy with my Roland KC-150.

Why not go into a music shop and try out a few different amps on your keyboard (or something comparable that they have in-store, if they don't have yours), and see what you're happy with?

Reaction score
Thank you for the input, The automated reply went into my spam folder so I have only just noticed these replies, I'll google a few of these brands you mention in the morning,
Many Thanks, Bren

Reaction score
From another keyboard forum, the QSC K12 is getting high reviews. Another well thought of speaker/power set-up for keys is the Accugroove with QSC power, and the Motion Sound KP500 (stereo) amo. "YMMV" , I believe = "Your milage May Vary"
as many things about keys and speakers/amps can be very subjective.
I've used Peavey and Roland keyboards amps in the past, and I thought both of mine
were mediocre at best. These days the pwered speakers seem to be in vogue over the few available dedicated keyboard amps.

However, I currently use the Motion Sound KP200S, which is considered underpowered by some. At nomimal volumns, it sounds great for pianos and clonewheels. AND, it is stereo in one box.
If you gig with a loud band, the KP500 has more power.
B3

I agree: Peavey & Roland kybd. amps were/are workhorses, built solid but just don't sound as good for keys, esp. acoustic piano sounds, as other models in today's current offerings.

I also have a Motion Sound KP200S and found it to be EXCELLENT but a bit underpowered. Their new model the KP500N is probably a better way to go if it will be used in a rock band or other loud setting.

I've also read great things about the new QSC powered spkrs. - K12 series. Of course, to get stereo you'd need two of them and probably want a little mixer in between, so more stuff to carry.

I used to use a pair of JBL EON15 G2's, which are also great for keys - now I've kind of relegated them for occasional PA duty as I play most of the time in a wedding band that uses an in-ear monitor system. :cool:

Ask a Question