Upgrading my stuff

RSJ

Reaction score
I'm way over due some new gear. at the minute I'm mainly using a Korg I5s. I use it for live use with a band.

I mainly use the piano sounds, and sometimes a bit of strings. But every now and again I do use synth sounds.
Although I do play some classical stuff at home. for the band it's mainly just chords. so I don't really need weighted keys.

My main problem is my budget. I'd like to keep to around £300. I am looking at the second hand market.

I was looking at the Korg x50. Which seems to have everything I need. But I've heard lots of mixed reviews on this keyboard.

Then I was thinking of maybe buying two keyboards. something like a microkorg and a stage piano like a Yamaha NP model.
But as I carry far too much stuff already, I didn't really want to go down that road.

What my question is, Will the Korg x50 be good enough or/and Do you know of another keyboard what would do me better?
I don't mind a little age. but I would like something that has a bit of new to it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything specifically bad about the X50.

Then again others to look at in that price range used are the Yamaha DGX-640 and the Casio WK-7500.

My advice would be to try all three to see which you prefer.

Gary

RSJ

Reaction score
The Yamaha MM6 looks good.

Last night I found a Casio XW-G1. which is a newish keyboard. seems good but it is a Casio...

I need to go and play with a Korg x50 really, Just thought I'd ask in case there was something big i was missing out on, Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I own a Casio XW-P1. The Synth sounds are a hell of a lot of fun, but the PCM tones are a bit cheesy.

Reaction score
I would certainly recommend the Roland Juno Di over the Yamaha MM6 (or the MM8). The MM6 is only a little better than a personal keyboard from yamaha with built in speakers, I've owned both. the MM6 is very comparable to the PSR-293 that I also had.

If you're going with yamaha, look at the MO series instead. you can pick up a used MO6 for around 300 euros. That's what I currently use for live, but I'm also looking to upgrade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-MO6-...yboards_MIDI&hash=item3387f79eda#ht_38wt_1362

(NOTE: I realize that's a US ebay listing, but it's about the right price point converted to euros)

RSJ

Reaction score
Interestingly their is a Yamaha MO8 on the UK ebay. starting price isn't too bad. but buy it now's £600:mad:
There is a very cheap mm6 up for sale too at the minute (not on ebay) but the seller doesn't seem to reply.

Funny thing is I like my old Korg. but I could just do with better sounds, control etc.

I may just have to bite the bullet and get a Korg i5s to be honest. suppose if I get a 2nd hand one, I could always resell if I didn't like it. without losing too much money, if any.

Thanks

Reaction score
Before buying my Juno di, tried the Korg model that was equivalent at the time, (I forgot the model #, but it wasn't the newer x50. I also tried the MM6. The MM6 felt and played like a toy and the key bed on the Korg was spongy and not inviting to play. Both those keyboards were really cheaply made. The Juno di is very well constructed, but I always had a tough time playing APs and EPs on it, since the action was very shallow and doesn't have much give. I tend to have heavy hands. Given the choices, I would still choose it over the others, but I'd see if the x50 is any better.

Ask a Question