Uploading sounds to a keyboard?

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer yet.:confused:

I'm wondering if it's possible to upload pre-recorded sounds from my computer onto a keyboard. I have thousands of pre-recorded sounds(like people talking, birds chirping, sirens, door knobs etc.) and would love it if I could load them onto a keyboard instead of using my impractical foot pedal. I've recorded these sounds using a handheld voice recorder and uploaded them to my computer. Can I now load these into keys? And if I can, will I beable to play my sounds through an amp? I'm looking to have dozens of sounds on my keyboard for instant access during performances. I'm NOT looking to have a single sound on the entire keyboard in different notes. I'm hoping to have a dog barking, next to a toilet flushing, next to a doorbell ringing, next to glass shattering, next to someone talking, next to a car horn etc...

Is this possible??

And what keyboard do you recommend?

Reaction score
Good question

Ive got the same question, i dont know how to make sounds or ANYTHING

Reaction score
Well, at least we are in this together.

I've done some research and it seems that the term 'sampling' or 'sampler' is connected with what I'm looking for. But not totally positive...

Reaction score
You would need a keyboard with audio sampling capability. There are a number of different keyboards that are capable. Try a google search using different search terms, such as "digital sampler", "sampling keyboard", etc.
B3

Reaction score
I'm NOT looking to have a single sound on the entire keyboard in different notes. I'm hoping to have a dog barking, next to a toilet flushing, next to a doorbell ringing, next to glass shattering, next to someone talking, next to a car horn etc...
That is what a midi percussion set is like --- each key triggers a different patch. For a tone set, different keys trigger the same (or similar) patches, but with different pitches.

I'm sure it's possible to do what you want, but I certainly don't know enough to tell you how to do it. I've ordered a Casio keyboard, but it hasn't come yet, so I have zero experience. One way to proceed is as b3maniac says -- get a sampler that will take audio input and make a sample out of it. Or, you could keep the samples on your computer, get a keyboard that generates note data and sends it to the computer, then use a software synthesizer program running on the computer to play your sound samples out through a sound card when it hears the note data you are sending it from the keyboard.

Or, some samplers probably provide a way to download your sound patches to the sampler, where they can be played directly. You'd need some specialized software to massage your sound samples into the right form for the sampler to use them.

I'm sorry this was all so vague.

Reaction score
korg triton! they frikin work!

Yamaha Motif seems waaay better but its menu is kinda hard to handle. There is also another great and user-friendly workstation synthesizer - Roland Fantom (really good lookin btw).
I just love these two workstations and can't really say which one is better.

If you want to have a synth/keyboard that has a sampling option, go get yourself a WORKSTATION SYNTH ;)
Cheers

Ask a Question