USB cable problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I rearranged my studio so I ordered a new USB (A to B) cable (5m) for my M-Audio m‑audio keystudio 49i to iMac.

Now there is no signal from keyboard to iMac. I usually use Logic Pro or Sibelius. Both recognise the keyboard is plugged in, but do not recognise any signal when I press any keys.

I've tried MIDI Monitor (from Snoize) but, although it recognises the connection, it does not show any keypresses or button presses at all.

So (and I know what you are thinking . . . the 5m cable is the problem) I connected an Alesis Q25 and a Korg Nanokey2 and they work fine!

I also connected the M-Audio to my iPad using the same cable (and adapter) and . . . it works fine!

Everything was working prior to this - using an A to B cable with a USB 'extension' cable attached.

I've even updated the OS (which shouldn't really make a difference in this situation, given the previous happy marriage of keyboard and computer)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Best wishes

Colin

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all not all USB Chipsets play nicely with USB 1.0/2.0/3.0 and backwards compatibility with all 3 standards.

Secondly, you're running Apple which is infamous for doing hardware its own way, bugs and all.

Thirdly, not all USB cables are created equally either, be they USB 1.0/2.0/3.whatever...

Honestly I'd say keep on swapping cables and hardware until you are satisfied with the results. One way or the other...

Gary ;)

Ask a Question