USB midi and a mobile phone

Reaction score
Greetings all! I am new to the forum.
I recently began playing keyboard with a band after years of playing into a sequencer using vst plug ins to create a sound.
I have a Yamaha SY35 that I currently use with the band, but I don't like almost all of the sounds, and those I like I have better Vst's.
I was wondering if there might be a way to play vsts or synths from a mobile phone, and controller it with a USB midi keyboard (considering buying a usb midi keyboard, especially if there is a way to make this happen) as I don't currently have a laptop, nor do I want to lug it around to gigs.
I know on apple phones there are some interesting sounds, and my old nokia n8 had a very good usb converter/compatibility, but sadly hardly any apps.
I'm due for an upgrade in the mobile phone department at the moment, so if there is any phones people think might be most suited to this, please let me know :)

Any and all comments welcome, happy to get a discussion started on the topic as I'm sure many people would like to take advantage of such a capability :)

Thanks for reading my post and hope to hear from you!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I seriously doubt any iphone has enough processing power to render multi or even single layer VSTs well enough and smoothly enough to trust in a live stage performance.

Maybe a top of the line iPad, but better still would be a laptop or a standalone synth rack module.

Reaction score
hi! thanks for your reply. after doing some research I have discovered caustic app for android.Some videos on youtube show it working well with a usb midi controller, however it appears my current usb midi controller is not compatible

Ask a Question