Use MIDI track to trigger keyboard?

Reaction score
So I'm still a bit new with MIDI. I've figured out how to hook my keyboard up through an interface and can control and record MIDI as virtual instrument files just fine. My setup is a Korg Trinity ProX run through the MIDI I/O on a Tascam US-1800 and I'm using the latest update of reaper.

I want to get it to do the opposite now.

Is there a way to have a track of MIDI "trigger" my Korg keyboard so I can make the MIDI cause the sound on the Korg to play? It seems like there should be a way but what I've tried so far hasn't worked.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome, @DrewLove! :)

Yes, you should be able to do that. See chapter 10 of the manual:

Reaction score
Welcome, @DrewLove! :)

Yes, you should be able to do that. See chapter 10 of the manual:

THANKS! I think that is the process i need and will a little digging this should work for me!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Let us know how you make out with it. :)

Also, manuals can suffer from various issues that make it more difficult for the average reader to follow along.

For instance, they might take a specific topic (such as MIDI functionality), divide it into several subtopics, and scatter the information for each subtopic in different places throughout the manual, such that you must flip to chapter 5 for the topic you're specifically interested in, then flip back to chapter 1 for information about some basic steps, then flip ahead to chapter 9 for a detailed description of some function or setting you're needing to change, then turn to a completely different manual for something that isn't covered in the first manual, etc.

And aside from that, the manuals might seem to be written for people who already understand the topic in depth and merely need a few pointers about how something is implemented on that particular keyboard.

So if you get everything working the way you want, don't hesitate to post any step-by-step notes describing what you did, both on your keyboard and in your software. Chances are, sooner or later someone will find your notes useful, because they're using either the same keyboard as you, or the same software.

Ask a Question