using a guitar amp

Reaction score
I've been jamming with these folks, they have an extra guitar amp that I have been playing thru. (I do have a keyboard amp but it's tough on my bad back.)

I have been noticing that I'm not happy with some of my sounds. The organ patches don't sound good...they are kind of shrill & not nice & full-textured. The only sound I'm happy with is the Wurli Amp.

I wonder if maybe a guitar amp isn't the best thing to use? Apparently it modifies the sound in a way that's only good for a guitar.

Do any other folks here use a guitar amp, and how do they shape their sound.

Reaction score
'

In the opinion of most guitarists I know (ie: plenty!) the sound they most desire is the one
produced by a good -and usually very expensive- valve amp.
Note here when I say "the sound produced" - because (as has been mentioned in a recent thread) these amps 'colour' the sound.

Most of them, of course, can't afford to buy the amp of their dreams so solid-state amps is what you often see them using.
These amps attempt to emulate the valve amp sound.

When amplifying a keyboard you want the amp to be as 'clean' as possible, which is something you will never achieve with a guitar amp.

Another thing -discussed in the other thread I mentioned- is the frequency response of the speaker - guitars simply do not play notes as low as the ones you'd play on a keyboard (this is probably why the organ sounds shrill) - so the speaker is not designed to cope with this. (Lower frequencies can be largely inaudible on their own, but add greatly to the overall 'cocktail').

So I afraid the only answer, in order to achieve the sound you're after, is good quality keyboard-designed amplification & that means weight - the size of the magnet in the driver is directly linked with the volume of air the speaker cone can move.

Ask a Question