Using accompaniment on Yamaha DGX 620

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm a new member here and a keyboard newbie. I have classical piano background and currently I'm learning to play jazz music as well. I recently purchased used DGX 620 keyboard, and I'm trying to figure out how to use accompaniment for the pieces from my repertoire. The keyboard manual https://au.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/3/319553/YPG_525_Eng_manual.pdf doesn't explain how to add accompaniment to more advanced musical pieces. i tried following the manual instructions, and couldn't get the accompaniment to match the music i was playing. The keyboard's built in demo pieces sound awesome though, so I know that to reach similar quality is possible if you know what you're doing.

Could you guys recommend good keyboard tutorials? The ones I checked out so far had even less info than the keyboard manual.

Thanks in advance

Tanya

Reaction score
Welcome Tania.

It should be a case of finding the right Style to play along with for each song in your rep. There are 150 available Styles to choose from and if there is none that match a specific requirement then there may well be in an expansion pack if your DGX is capable of having additional Styles added.

There are two modes of use with the Styles, full ACMP where the keybard is split and the left hand plays the chords and the auto accompaniment varies with the chord played and ACMP off where the auto accompaniment is what it is.

The issue of tutorials is pretty common, Yamaha fall way behind Roland and Korg in that these two have video tutorials online for most of their range, whilst not extensive they do get you started. So maybe if you check on the Yamaha website you can find a tutorial series for a DGX.

Learning a new keyboard can be frustrating, it is more of using trial and error to find how to do something that the manual simply does not give clear guidance on.

Another avenue to research is a Tablet App, Yamaha produce dozens of them and there may be one that you could use.

Good luck

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Tanya
Page 28 will get you started.
Press on ACMP button. This will split the keyboard and let you play chords with left hand.
Select STYLE and SONG choice and experiment from there on.
The DGX models may not be as well equipped with Auto Acmp ad much as PSR S models so don't have high expectations.
Good luck with you Jazz tuition and welcome to the forums.
Ray

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your advice.

Ray, I didn't have problem doing exercises from the manual. When i play simple melody or some chords with left hand the accompaniment sounds great. But whenever I try to add accompaniment to more elaborated pieces the accompaniment doesn't match the left hand at all. To understand what I mean, try to play Beethoven's Fur Elise with accompaniment on your keyboard.

Biggles, I searched YT for Korg and Roland tutorials as you suggested, and the instructors in the videos I've seen so far don't play much with left hand either, they let the in-built accompaniment to do the work.

Maybe music with elaborated left hand part just isn't meant to be played on keyboard with accompaniment? Too bad :( I really was hoping to add an orchestra sound to my piano solos.

Thanks again for your help.

Tanya

Reaction score
But whenever I try to add accompaniment to more elaborated pieces the accompaniment doesn't match the left hand at all. To understand what I mean, try to play Beethoven's Fur Elise with accompaniment on your keyboard.
You can absolutely do this - however you need to approach the tune differently to how it's written on the sheet music.

If you play Fur Elise with RH only, and play triads of Am, E and Am with your LH in bars 2, 3 and 4, you'll find it works. Then it' a matter of selecting a "style" that fits the mood you're trying to convey.

Reaction score
You can absolutely do this - however you need to approach the tune differently to how it's written on the sheet music.

If you play Fur Elise with RH only, and play triads of Am, E and Am with your LH in bars 2, 3 and 4, you'll find it works. Then it' a matter of selecting a "style" that fits the mood you're trying to convey.
Thanks for the tip, CowboyNQ. After replacing the triads in LH with chords the accompaniment worked.

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your advice.

Ray, I didn't have problem doing exercises from the manual. When i play simple melody or some chords with left hand the accompaniment sounds great. But whenever I try to add accompaniment to more elaborated pieces the accompaniment doesn't match the left hand at all. To understand what I mean, try to play Beethoven's Fur Elise with accompaniment on your keyboard.

Biggles, I searched YT for Korg and Roland tutorials as you suggested, and the instructors in the videos I've seen so far don't play much with left hand either, they let the in-built accompaniment to do the work.

Maybe music with elaborated left hand part just isn't meant to be played on keyboard with accompaniment? Too bad :( I really was hoping to add an orchestra sound to my piano solos.

Thanks again for your help.

Tanya

Tanya

Whilst not specifically helping with your DGX there is a function on some Arrangers for chord sequences to be recorded or even specified within the Style hence the accompaniment will be a better quality and LH will be free for whatever you want.

So it is something to bear in mind when you come to change or add to another keyboard.

Ask a Question