Using Backing Tracks - Sending Clicks to Drummer

Reaction score
Hey Guys
I am a vocal and keyboard player in a band.
I want to make backing tracks to make my work easier. I want them to be triggered by keyboard. I have trouble playing chords, and few solos,changing sounds and singing at the same time :) Which i can do at some level but i make small mistakes. I want to record fundamentals , chords , pads and some samples. For this i need to send clicks to our drummer otherwise it would be hard. Right? What kind of setup do i need for this ? Right now i have a Laptop,Cubase, Korg VSTs,Korg Triton Taktile 49 ohh and an M-audio Ext.Sound Card. I am planning to upgrade my setup and add a Hardware keyboard to this. I need ideas and tips.
Hope i could explain myself. Thanks.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have no experience with click tracks, but it seems like it should be pretty straightforward:

(1) Add an additional MIDI or audio track in your DAW project for the click track.

(2) Direct the output of the click track to an audio line that goes to the drummer's headphones or earbuds.

(3) Direct the output of the other tracks to your speakers, PA system, or whatever.

Hopefully some of our gigging members will be able to offer some less vague instructions or advice.

Reaction score
I have no experience with click tracks, but it seems like it should be pretty straightforward:
Yep that would work for sure.

I work with click tracks quite a bit (to match arpeggiator tempos) and have an ever simpler solution. I just tell the drummer what the BPM is and he matches it to either an iPhone metronome app or a sample pad (depending on the band/drummer).

Works a charm.

Reaction score
Perfect. I love this forum. Thanks for the answers! I am going to try both.

Edit: Can you suggest me an interface where i can connect my laptop, midi keyboard,2nd keyboard and headphones adjust volume levels seperately ?
Mine is about to die, keeps crashing.
Thanks

Last edited:

Ask a Question