Using Computer Keyboard to change midi channels?

Reaction score
I have a M-audio keystation 88, and changing the channels is slow because you have to press a special function button before selecting your channel. I was wondering what software would allow me to map keys on my computer keyboard to change midi channels?

Thanks

Reaction score
None of the music programs I have used utilize the computer keyboard
for that ppurpose. Rather, setting the midi channel is a function inside
of the applications that is done via mouse manipulation.
B

Reaction score
MIDI doesn't work the way you think it does. MIDI devices don't send out a message saying, 'I'm now playing on channel 1'. Rather, *every* message sent (with a few exceptions like SysEx that you probably don't need to know about now) is sent on a specific channel. It had to be done that way so that a single MIDI device can receive a merged signal from multiple keyboards and use the MIDI channel to differentiate which notes trigger which sounds, and also so that a single device could send MIDI data on multiple channels at once.

Bome's MIDI Translator will let you map keys to specific MIDI events. It might let you rechannelize all incoming MIDI data. Also, depending on the software that's receiving the MIDI data, it might be possible to use your computer keyboard to send MIDI CCs, again through Bome's, that mute and unmute certain tracks in your sequencer rather than rechannelizing all incoming MIDI data.

Unless you're playing live, I wouldn't bother with this. For sequencing and recording MIDI data, it shouldn't be a big deal to change.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I took a look at Midi Translator, but it seems very complex, and I don't feel like learning a new program. I guess I'm out of luck. I should have invested in a keyboard with more features.

Ask a Question