Using Ferrofish B4000 with Casio WK 110

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I know very little about Midi which makes it difficult to aptly explain the help I need....but I'll try. I have a casio WK110. It has 1 port for USB type B cable. I also have the Ferrofish B4000. I want to be able to use the B4000 to turn my Casio into a hammond...not for recording purposes, but for live playing. 1. Is it possible to do given I only have the one port and 2. If it is possible, how do I connect them? I purchased a DORE USB midi Host Box USB to Midi converter/interface as well. But, again, I can't figure out how to make it all work. I've googled and reviewed manuals but need someone to baby step me through it if it's possible. Or do I need a new keyboard? Any suggestions are welcome

Reaction score
I have one. But I can't figure out what gets connected to what. If I am correct I should not need a computer to make everything work and yet there is no USB port to connect the USB Host too.

Reaction score
I have one. But I can't figure out what gets connected to what. If I am correct I should not need a computer to make everything work and yet there is no USB port to connect the USB Host too.
USB port of the Casio goes into the USB connector of the host box. 5-pin MIDI OUT connector of the host box goes to the 5-pin MIDI IN of the Ferrofish.

Reaction score
you'll need a "usb a" to "usb b" to connect the host box (seen above) to the casio, then a 5-pin midi cable to connect the host box's Midi OUT to the Ferrofish Midi IN. Ensure that both the Ferrofish and the Casio are transmitting/receiving MIDI on the same midi channel.

usb a to usb b cable

5 pin midi cable connector

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I'm going to try it later tonight. I did set it up this way yesterday but the only way I could power the host box was by plugging into a computer (which I don't want) and it didn't do anything- the keyboard just made it's normal keyboard sound. I figured powering through the computer was only intended for recording, etc. and I wasn't set up for that because that is not what I'm trying to do. I want live sound. I will use an adapter to plug into a socket to power the box ...do I have to go 1/4 jack from the Ferrofish to an amp after the other cables are hooked up? I guess I'm not understanding where the actual sound will come out?

Reaction score
Yes, the host boxes always need to be powered.

Off-hand, I can't envision any scenario where you would want to plug the host box into your computer. You buy a host box to avoid having to use a computer. If you're using a computer in the setup, the computer itself would function as the host, and tehre's no need for the separate box.

The Ferrofish sound comes out of the Ferrofish. So yes, 1/4" out to an amp, or to the input of a mixer, etc.

Reaction score
Thanks all, it worked. I just needed audio cables from casio to b4000 and then b4000 to amp in addition to the midi.

Ask a Question