Using laptop to play my Yamaha YPT-220

Reaction score
As noted in the title, I have a Yamaha YPT-220 keyboard... It has MIDI in and out ports. The user manual gives very little information about the keyboards MIDI capabilities.

I recently purchased a MIDI > USB adapter, so that I could plug my laptop into my keyboard. The laptop was purchased late last summer, so it should be able to handle it. I have Windows 7.

I am using Noteworthy Composer 2.0 to create my music on the computer. What I want to do is have my laptop accompany me while I play with a pre-recorded MIDI file (in my imagination, it sounds really good!)
I am saving what I create as a MIDI file, however, my laptop is not playing them back on my keyboard. My keyboard is remaining silent.

The adapter has IN and OUT lights that blink, and when my laptop is playing a MIDI file in Noteworthy, the OUT indicator light blinks on and off. The MIDI cables are labeled IN and OUT and are plugged into the right ports. I swapped them just to see what would happen, and it made some odd noises that I would not want to have accompanying me!

In the program, Noteworthy Composer, I have the playback device set to USB MIDI. After plugging it in for the first time, Windows Update downloaded and installed drivers, and after doing that, USB MIDI because an available playback device.

I know this is a lot of information, but does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? What kinds of settings could I be overlooking? Are there better programs for playing back MIDI files on my keyboard?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Check your local settings and be sure they are set to "Off". This allows the instrument to repond to external midi control.
See page 44 of the users manual.
B3

Ask a Question