Using line out AND onboard speakers DGX-640

Reaction score
Howdy

My church recently bought a DGX-640. The keyboard player loves hearing her keys through the onboard speakers, but they are disabled when using the line out. Does anyone know a way to use both the onboard speakers and the line out?

I know a stage monitor would work fine (and what I'd prefer), but there are other issues in play. (Don't get me started on stupid Bose systems...)

Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I dunno how comfortable you'd be with modifying the rig, but I'd imagine the line out is a switchable jack that could be rewired by a technician to be hardwired to output to both the internal speakers as well as the external line out simultaneously. If you still required the ability to shut off the speakers now and then, you could also add a manual toggle switch with a drill hole in the case and a couple of soldered wires.

Any competent keyboard tech could probably do this mod for you for under $100.

Anyway, that's off the top of my head. I'd suggest phoning up a local music repair shop and asking a tech if it's feasible and how much he'd be willing to do it for.

Gary

Reaction score
This instrument has no special line out jacks; the only possibility to bring the sound to external speakers is to use the PHONES/OUTPUT jack. But this means that the internal speakers of the instrument are automatically off as soon as you put a connector into the PHONES/OUTPUT jack.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, if there's no line out jack that means you have to use an inline attenuator before you can plug the headphone out to a line level amp.

But my suggestion is still doable. The headphone jack is still a stereo switchable jack. Here's a schematic I whipped up that shows what must be done with a mono circuit.

A stereo circuit would simply involve an extra channel in the switchable jack circuit and using a double pole single throw toggle switch instead of a single pole switch.

Print out the schematic and hand it to a tech and he'll immediately get the idea of what you want to do. Basically the jack stays put. All that has to be done is hardwire the switch in the position shown.

jack_schematic-jpg.249

Attachments

• jack_schematic.jpg
    jack_schematic.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 3,187

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, just as a FYI you do realize that this sort of mod WILL void your warranty, right? ;)

Reaction score
BTW, just as a FYI you do realize that this sort of mod WILL void your warranty, right? ;)

Yeah, that's the kicker, huh? Unless said tech is good at undoing work, too...

It will take about three different people to approve anything I want. I guess I'm just going to really push for a monitor, and basically tell the stubborn soundman that it's the only way to make it work. Have I mentioned I dislike Bose systems?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually most manufacturers can spot unauthorized opening of the case even if nothing is modified. Usually with little stickers and whatnot that tips them off to an unauthorized repair. A mod like this would stick out to the warranty techs like a sore thumb if you were to go ahead with it.

But realistically speaking, we're only talking about $600 worth of equipment here. And a good tech could perform the mod without so much as hiccup.

Simplest solution, as you said though, is to use an extra floor monitor and acoustics be damned.

Reaction score
you can purchase a separate cheap powered monitor. A tech is going to charge you a minimum of 1 hour time regardless of how long it takes, so rather than going through that hassle of modifying the keyboard, a small cheap powered monitor will sound just as good as the built in speakers on the keyboard.

Reaction score
I must strongly agree on the last two posts, Powered speakers don't have to be of the greatest quality and/or expensive, they sound easily MUCH better than the onboard speakers of most keyboards. The easiest solution anyway!

Reaction score
Get a stereo set up. It makes a big difference. I have a Hohner (accordian) stereo set up, only 50 watts total. It`s a cracker; dunno if they still make `em though.

Reaction score
Just press the Function key, scroll over to the Speaker Control function and set it to ALWAYS ON. No mod is needed on this model. Just a settings change, every time you turn it on. If you ever find a way to save this setting, I would LOVE to know.

Reaction score
Just press the Function key, scroll over to the Speaker Control function and set it to ALWAYS ON. No mod is needed on this model. Just a settings change, every time you turn it on. If you ever find a way to save this setting, I would LOVE to know.
I hope you realize these postings occurred 9 years ago.

Ask a Question