Using MIDI Keyboard to play my iPad piano teaching software

Reaction score
Hello....I have an app on my iPad that will use its internal synthesizer and show me how accurate my exercises are when I practice if I can play these notes /keys thru my MIDI keyboard.

My app is called Piano Adventures and I have an Apple iPad with an Apple USB camera adapter that connects with my Novation Impulse 25 MIDI Keyboard Controller. I have made adjustments to the settings on the iPad app per info given to me from the tech staff from Piano Adventures. I just got my Impulse 25 keyboard and I have made several adjustments to the settings but nothing I have done so far has worked.

Besides giving me performance information, there are several other features I can unlock that will help me learn how to play the piano, once I can connect these 2 devices and software so they can talk to one another.

Does anyone have any suggestions I can try to my Impulse 25 MIDI keyboard controller? Thank you!

/Joe

Reaction score
Welcome.

Is the Camera Adaptor a genuine Apple product or one bought from Amazon or eBay?

It is often the Camera Adaptor that is the source of any connection issues, it is a rip off having to pay $39 for a connecting lead direct from Apple or via one of their Stores but Apple is Apple and nothing is cheap.

Do you get anything out of your iPad when all connected and the App is running?

If you do then it is worth installing another similar App (the free version first) to see what happens with that App, then respond back to us.

If you have not got it on your iPad can I suggest that you install Garage Band, its a free Apple DAW App but you can also use it just to play the instruments that are bundled with it. Can you also try using this App and come back to us.

I would not expect there to be an issue with the Keyboard since Novation are a quality manufacturer which products that review very well. As it is I have an Arturia MIDI keyboard and that works very well with all the music Apps that I have on my iPad but I do not use any learning Apps so cannot really advise further on the one you are using.

BTW Joe, we are a worldwide forum so please be patient as it can take a day or more before all members who can help actually have a chance of responding.

Reaction score
Hello Biggles! Thank you for your varied suggestions. And you were right when you said the problem was NOT on the Novation Impulse end. I rechecked my Input MIDI settings in the app and for some reason there were 2 Impulse variations (one said “Impulse Impulse” and another said “Impulse Impulse MIDI In”). I had selected the 2nd one but when I changed it to the first one, suddenly my MIDI keys were showing up on the Piano Adventures keyboard and I could see what keys I was hitting correctly (in green) and when I was off (in orange)! This was a wonderful feeling! Oh yes, also I did get the Apple adapter from Apple via Amazon....they are now $32. In the past I had some issues with HDMI adapters that were not from Apple and these went away when I just bought the more expensive Apple product. I liked your GarageBand suggestion and did a test with that, and yes, that was working fine too. So appreciate your suggestions. Please take care!

/Joe

Reaction score
Joe

Glad you have it sorted.

When you become more proficient you may like to check out a few more music related Apps.

Music Studio, the paid for version, has a good selection of instrument sounds.

There are other synth Apps like Arturia and Synthesia that works well.

There are App related threads here so a search will bring them into the light.

Good luck with your learning.

Reaction score
Joe

Glad you have it sorted.

When you become more proficient you may like to check out a few more music related Apps.

Music Studio, the paid for version, has a good selection of instrument sounds.

There are other synth Apps like Arturia and Synthesia that works well.

There are App related threads here so a search will bring them into the light.

Good luck with your learning.
Thanks again! Everything in this MIDI world is new to me, so I will definitely check out your suggestions. Yesterday I got Audiobus 3 and Looper HD so I will do some experimenting with these. And I will look at the threads too.

I noticed you are from England. Last year my family and I took our vacation in London and Reading (our daughter did her junior year abroad several years ago and had a class reunion at the University in Reading) and we had a wonderful time seeing your country. Again, thanks for your insights. Take care.../Joe

Reaction score
A visitor can spend there whole time in England in London and still go back home without seeing everything there.

I used to work in central London around Whitehall/Tower/Hyde Park and Summers were no fun it was oh so busy just trying to get around so a pain for us workers but great for business.

We had two days there three years ago and after that I vowed never again, it is even worst now for being busy.

That said I have always wanted to see more of New York tan we did on a forced layover but it is far to busy for this old timer and my Wife would probably be deported straight back if she could get a visa at all since she has travelled extensively in the middle east.

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles.....while impressed with London as a tourist it sure was very crowded. My wife and I were in awe of the varied nationalities we saw there. I was born in New York grew up in Florida and graduated from the University of Florida, and while I visited New York some, it was way too crowded for me. My wife and I have spent the last 20 or so years living in the San Antonio area and now we are retired here. We avoid very large cities like Houston and Dallas and love San Antonio.

In looking at your note, do you play the Ukulele? There is a British uke concert band that plays their ukes to a song called the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly that is just phenomenal! (
). I joined a uke group of fellow retirees and we have a gig at 3 nursing/rehab homes in Boerne Texas this week. I have only been playing the uke for a few months since I recently retired, but it’s a fun instrument to learn. The “E” chord is a bear though! I have been enjoying my new midi playing my Piano Adventures apple App thanks to the information you generously provided to me. I had never really understood what GarageBand was but you peaked my interest so I bought a course on how to better understand what it has to offer. Another side benefit from the information you shared with me. Please take care and my kindest thanks for your helping me to get started on the right foot with my MIDI keyboard!

/Joe

Reaction score
Joe

I have only had the Uke for a few months and love it, like you I am retired and my local U3A were starting a Uke Group so that is how it started for me. I have played guitar for years but find with my arthritic hands the tenor uke is far easier to play, apart from the dreaded E which is the dreaded F on a guitar. Since most in the U3A group are very new I just sit there and strum along to simple progressions, its more for the social side than the playing.

Since then I have bought a solid bodied Risa uke and now looking at a fretless Ubass, so UAS has bitten me.

There are two uke groups near where I like that play anywhere anytime, not had chance to join them yet due to having a hip replaced a few months ago and I am not yet fully mobile.

There is a lot of vids online of the UOGB, they are good.

You are welcome re the help, you may also like to check out more posts here as there are excellent threads by Gary (Happyrat) with links on music theory and online tutorial and equipment review websites.

Ask a Question