Using My Focal Monitors. Other Sounds Vs Piano Sounds

Reaction score
I am in a bit of a pickle! I have a pair of Focal Shape Twins that I really do love but I have one little problem. I have noticed that when playing piano samples it sounds good but when you play below middle C it starts to get a little muffled almost like the resonance of the keys distorts the sound a little.

For the first time, I used my headphones while playing the piano samples and it sounded much better through the headphones than the speakers. NOW... I used to have a pair of Focal Shape 65's that I loved and I never had the same problem. Any other sounds sound wonderful...

I do have the keyboard in a slightly different area than before but I am thinking maybe the speakers are not right for the room as the 65's seemed to be better suited. With my limited knowledge, I thought a 3-way speaker (the Focal Twins that I have now) would give me a better stereo sound than the 65's but maybe they are overkill?

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Most of my working life was in Sound/Audio Speaker manufacturer/Sales.
The main reason you get better results from your headphones is because you hear the sounds directly so room acoustics DON'T come into play.
Speaker placement in a room is all Trial & Error, by moving a speaker a number of Inches/Feet can completely alter the sound, even your listening position can again change the sound you hear.
You can purchase not too expensive sound damping pads to put on walls to help eliminate reflections in over bright rooms.
Search YouTube.com contains helpful speaker placement advice. ...Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Most of my working life was in Sound/Audio Speaker manufacturer/Sales.
The main reason you get better results from your headphones is because you hear the sounds directly so room acoustics DON'T come into play.
Speaker placement in a room is all Trial & Error, by moving a speaker a number of Inches/Feet can completely alter the sound, even your listening position can again change the sound you hear.
You can purchase not too expensive sound damping pads to put on walls to help eliminate reflections in over bright rooms.
Search YouTube.com contains helpful speaker placement advice. ...Hope this helps.
Thank you! I do have some foam isolators so I will play around with them and speaker positioning.

Ask a Question