Using Roland M50 with another keyboard HELP!

Mgw

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to use my Roland M50 but trigger all the sounds and patches etc using my NI Komplete Kontrol 88 keyboard as it’s a better keyboarb. Has anyone done this and is it possibe? Many thanks.
Mark

Reaction score
You should be able to connect the MIDI OUT on the NI keyboard and connect the other end to the MIDI IN of the M50. By default you should then be able to play the NI keyboard and hear the M50 as if you were playing the M50 directly.

If you tried that and it doesn't work then it would be a settings issue. Example of settings issue that could prevent the above:

1) the MIDI OUT port of the NI might be disabled, which means that you need to go into the menu system and 'enable' MIDI OUT on the MIDI send.
2) The MIDI IN of the M50 is not setup automatically to receive; might have to set it up to enable the MIDI receive.
3) the keyboards are not on the same MIDI channel. Check to ensure that the MIDI Receive channel of the M50 and the MIDI send channel of the NI are set to the same MIDI channel.
4) bad MIDI cable

For #1 above I saw this somewhere:

For Komplete Kontrol and Maschine hardware controllers, turn Port 1 on when transmitting MIDI over USB. Turn Port 2 on when transmitting MIDI over the 5-Pin MIDI cable.

So this tells me that the 5-pin MIDI OUT might be disabled, so if it doesn't work on the straight connection (written in blue above) then you may need to turn the port 2 on so that it actually sends the MIDI signal to the M50.

Mgw

Reaction score
You should be able to connect the MIDI OUT on the NI keyboard and connect the other end to the MIDI IN of the M50. By default you should then be able to play the NI keyboard and hear the M50 as if you were playing the M50 directly.

If you tried that and it doesn't work then it would be a settings issue. Example of settings issue that could prevent the above:

1) the MIDI OUT port of the NI might be disabled, which means that you need to go into the menu system and 'enable' MIDI OUT on the MIDI send.
2) The MIDI IN of the M50 is not setup automatically to receive; might have to set it up to enable the MIDI receive.
3) the keyboards are not on the same MIDI channel. Check to ensure that the MIDI Receive channel of the M50 and the MIDI send channel of the NI are set to the same MIDI channel.
4) bad MIDI cable

For #1 above I saw this somewhere:

For Komplete Kontrol and Maschine hardware controllers, turn Port 1 on when transmitting MIDI over USB. Turn Port 2 on when transmitting MIDI over the 5-Pin MIDI cable.

So this tells me that the 5-pin MIDI OUT might be disabled, so if it doesn't work on the straight connection (written in blue above) then you may need to turn the port 2 on so that it actually sends the MIDI signal to the M50.
Hi Dave,
many thanks for for explaining so well what I need to do I will give it a go. Be safe.

Ask a Question