Using USB MIDI and Traditional MIDI together

Reaction score
I poked around a bit and didn't see anything that would help me on this....

Here are the tools I have available to me:

- Casio WK-220
- Lower end model keyboard, 76 keys, that DOES NOT have pitch bend/mod wheel or Attack/Decay/etc. controls, USB MIDI for connecting to computer
- Yamaha MM6
- 61 key workstation, pitch bend/mod wheels, attack/decay, etc. controls, "Street Smart Synth with MOTIF sounds", Traditional MIDI In/Out, USB Midi for connecting to computer
- Digitech GNX 4 guitar floor boad
- Midi In and Midi Out/Thru connections
-Windows 8 Tablet Computer
- Touch screen, Full Windows 8 (not RT)

Here is what I would like to do:

Since my Casio WK-220 doesn't have much in the way of altering the preset sounds, I would like to be able to use the pitch bend and mod wheel on the Yamaha MM6 to control the sounds produced by the Casio. Since the Casio's USB MIDI isn't traditional MIDI, I don't believe there is a way to make that happen without going through a computer first (I've tried using a MIDI to USB cable with a USB type A to USB type B adapter so I can plug Casio's USB MIDI into the MIDI In/Out of the Yamaha, but to no avail). My tablet does have Adobe Audition and Audacity on it, and I have used DAWs and VST before, but I am not very experienced with them (I am quite proficient in computers however). What is the simplest way to use the pitch bend/mod wheel of the Yamaha to control the Casio??

On another note:

Since I will already have to connect to a computer to do this, is there perhaps a way to utilize the touch screen as a pitch bend/mod wheel substitute? I have tried to look around for touch screen compatible software to use as a midi controller, but most everything out there is more designed for DJs or else are just MIDI "Pad" controllers. I want to tweak the sounds of my Casio with "virtual control knobs" instead of physical knobs (since it doesn't have any to begin with). Is ther ANYTHING like this out there????

Please note that I MUST be able to use all of the controls LIVE (I don't do much recording, I want to be able to use my setup with my band).

Any help would be fantastic!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
With regards to your first question, I believe you can accomplish your goal with a Virtual MIDI Router program for Windows.

One such program which is open source and I do in fact use it to route controllers with my Linux computer is JACK Audio.

http://jackaudio.org/jack_on_windows

Be advised it can be a bit tricky to get working but is well worth the trouble of installing for dealing with latency and MIDI routing on a computer.

All in all though, I wish you luck keeping this all running properly and not crashing in a live setting.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I will have to try JACK Audio... looks promising.

Reaction score
Ooh, that looks nice. Unfortunately, I just bought a house and I'm tight on cash... so I was hoping to do that with the equipment I had available..

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yer very welcome. Good luck with JACK. Like I said, I run it in a Linux environment so you're SOL if you need any help from me setting it up.

Let us know if it solves your dilemma though. ;)

Gary

Ask a Question