Very very cheap Midi controller

Reaction score
I don't make music for a living, and well basically don't make a living because I am KID. I need a lightweight, cheap, dedicated Midi controller I can connect to my laptop and use fruity loops with. I don't enjoy dragging my 9,000 lb yamaha everywhere, so when playing at peoples houses this would be very handy.

Now, it may be too much to ask for one that has at least 3 octaves range, and general midi, and a price tag under 100$. Pressure sensitive too i hope

Also are musiciansfriend and guitarcenter the best sites for deals?

Update: this looks like my best bet for one, I don't need lots of knobs or anything. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/CME-MKey-49Key-USB-MIDI-Controller?sku=703042

tjw

Reaction score
My personal favorite is Sweetwater Sound www.sweetwater.com

I have also had good experience with Musician's Friend.

I haven't looked at any gear recently. Few years back, Musician's Friend and Sweetwater were within couple bucks of each other. Both of them shipped my stuff very quickly. I had a salesman who handled my account at Sweetwater when I was still on tour.

I don't know anything about Guitar Center.

I also have no experience with CME, but that looks like a nice board for the money. The keyboard is not pressure-sensitive, but is velocity-sensitive. This will most likely not offer you any opposition to create your music.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Look at the bright side.

10 years ago he might have found a decent controller for 100 smackers. :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
50 Kopeks to the Slotznek...

87 Slotzneks to the Booshka...

30 Booshkas to the Smacker...

Trades at par with the Congolese Dollar :D

US Money not accepted... Too many phoney bills... :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
That British money is way up there over the US$; I think,.. Must have a dang good economy.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Honestly I still remember the days when UK currency was incomprehensible.

'Apennies, tuppence, thruppence, shillings, crowns and guineas O My!!!!

Thank god you guys went metric... :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
We would not have any Big Mac if they were giving them away.

We also have KFC and they are worst than McDonalds.

In fact all our fast food chains are pretty plastic, the worst is a sandwich chain called Subway omg their stuff is bad.

We are British, for us oldies and fast food there is only one, Fish and Chips, wrapped in paper with plenty of salt and vinegar and walking on the beach eating them, ahh bliss.

The young whippersnappers would say a Curry is the best, but buying a takeaway curry is a risk to far, prefer to make our own.

Going back to currency

When I was a kid and we had pounds, shillings and pence, you know proper money, we used to call our 5 shillings a Dollar because the exchsnge rate was then about $4 Dollars to the £.

Now it is $1.32 to the £.

20 years ago it was near on $2 to the £.

Such is life.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In Canada we got rid of the penny about 5 years ago and the smallest notes we have now are $5 bills. We also got rid of the $1000 and $500 bills and now the biggest notes we have are hundreds. The government and industry are really pushing for a cashless economy here.

In the US they stubbornly hang onto the $1 bill because it's the only acceptable way to stuff money into a stripper's G-string :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
2 Farthings = 1 half penny

2 half pennies = 1 penny

240 pennies = 1 pound, a bank note in my youth and not the coin we now have

Thruppence = 3 pence, specifically a 12 sided coin with said value

Sixpence or sixpenneth = 6 pence, or specifically a small silver coin with said value

12 pence = 1 shilling

20 shillings = 1 pound

1 crown = 5 shillings often called a Dollar, again a specific coin of said value

1/2 crown = 2 shillings and 6 pense

1 florrin = 2 shillings, another coin with said value

1 guinea = 1 pound 1 shilling

10 bob = a paper bank note with the value of 10 shillings

A quid = 1 pound

A pony = 25 pounds

A tenner = 10 pounds

Reaction score
Brit coinage
1p
2p
5p
10p
50p
£1
£2
Then we go onto notes which now are some plastic see through things.
£5
£10
£20
£50

Try to present any paper money of a face value above £50 and you will be asked to wait whilst it is verified which is shop speak for we are going to call the Police.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
2 Farthings = 1 half penny

2 half pennies = 1 penny

240 pennies = 1 pound, a bank note in my youth and not the coin we now have

Thruppence = 3 pence, specifically a 12 sided coin with said value

Sixpence or sixpenneth = 6 pence, or specifically a small silver coin with said value

12 pence = 1 shilling

20 shillings = 1 pound

1 crown = 5 shillings often called a Dollar, again a specific coin of said value

1/2 crown = 2 shillings and 6 pense

1 florrin = 2 shillings, another coin with said value

1 guinea = 1 pound 1 shilling

10 bob = a paper bank note with the value of 10 shillings

A quid = 1 pound

A pony = 25 pounds

A tenner = 10 pounds

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It was a system designed by and for cab drivers so they could screw over tourists :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Here in the us we judge our currency, like Garys states, by the size of the g string.....No, I don't do that kinda thing.
The British money does have a nice ring to it and as for Canadian money, we in upstate NY just try to refuse it or cry when we get it. Our dang coin machines won't take it, and trying to use paper Canadian, is a no no.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually a lot of US/Canadian Border Towns accept either one at par whenever they are trying to attract cross border shoppers.

Personally I haven't visited the US in over twenty years ever since you guys went all bananas about border security and started treating every visitor like a common criminal :p

And every year the hysteria just seems to become worse and worse.

We're still waiting for you guys to build a wall to keep the gun loving, prescription buying Americans out of our country. :D :D :D

And by the way, nobody here likes to see American coins and bills in their change either :p

Gary ;)

Ask a Question