Vintage synth yamaha sy77 MIDI connection with interface cabletronic mint290 and USB driver installation problems

Reaction score
good morning from Italy to those who will have the patience to read my problem; :):):)

I have a vintage MIDI interface cabletronic mint290; connected USB 2.0 with adapter;
operating system win10 pro 64 bit;
program used SYmanager 2.2.2;
synth yamaha sy77 + 88 mute kbd;

MIDI connection: OUT mute weighted keyboard -> IN MIDI interface - - - OUT MIDI interface -> IN Synth

made the regular MIDI connections with the PC, and opening the program but appears the following message: you have either no MIDI input or no output devices on your system; SY manager requires both input and output devices to work correctly;

Having said that, I ask if the MIDI interface needs a driver to work or maybe it is not compatible with the operating system?

I tried to solve the problem by trying to install the yamaha usb MIDI driver v.3.1.4 um3141x64 for windows 10 64bit; but during the installation it gives me error 25001 - device not found;

thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

• messaggio errore SY manager collegamento MIDI.txt.pdf
    244.2 KB · Views: 77

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
First, welcome to the forums!

You won't be able to use the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver unless you're using a Yamaha USB-MIDI device-- by which I mean either a Yamaha keyboard that has a USB TO HOST port for sending and receiving MIDI, or a Yamaha UX16 USB-MIDI interface which is connected to any MIDI keyboard (not necessarily a Yamaha MIDI keyboard). The Yamaha USB-MIDI driver isn't seeing a Yamaha USB-MIDI device, which is why you're getting the "device not found" error.

Since you're using a third-party USB-MIDI interface, you'll need to use a driver that's written specifically for that interface. I'm not familiar with the Cabletronic Mint290, and couldn't find any information about it online (although I didn't spend a great deal of time searching), so I don't know if there's a driver for it. If it's an old interface-- you said it's "vintage"-- then it's possible there's no driver for it which was designed for Windows 10.

Your safest bet might be to use a Yamaha UX16 interface so you can install the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver, but I'm not sure whether the UX16 is still being produced and marketed.

A more likely option might be to use some other modern USB-MIDI interface that is known to work with older Yamaha keyboards, such as the iConnectivity mio. The mio doesn't require special drivers, because it's designed to be USB-MIDI class compliant and should work in Windows 10 using the default Windows drivers.

Reaction score
First, welcome to the forums!

You won't be able to use the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver unless you're using a Yamaha USB-MIDI device-- by which I mean either a Yamaha keyboard that has a USB TO HOST port for sending and receiving MIDI, or a Yamaha UX16 USB-MIDI interface which is connected to any MIDI keyboard (not necessarily a Yamaha MIDI keyboard). The Yamaha USB-MIDI driver isn't seeing a Yamaha USB-MIDI device, which is why you're getting the "device not found" error.

Since you're using a third-party USB-MIDI interface, you'll need to use a driver that's written specifically for that interface. I'm not familiar with the Cabletronic Mint290, and couldn't find any information about it online (although I didn't spend a great deal of time searching), so I don't know if there's a driver for it. If it's an old interface-- you said it's "vintage"-- then it's possible there's no driver for it which was designed for Windows 10.

Your safest bet might be to use a Yamaha UX16 interface so you can install the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver, but I'm not sure whether the UX16 is still being produced and marketed.

A more likely option might be to use some other modern USB-MIDI interface that is known to work with older Yamaha keyboards, such as the iConnectivity mio. The mio doesn't require special drivers, because it's designed to be USB-MIDI class compliant and should work in Windows 10 using the default Windows drivers.
Thanks for your quick response!
as beginner, I´ll try to exploit the cabletronic interface - and if that will not be possible, since that I´ve got two kbd (one synth and one mute) - I will purchase a 2x2 or 4x4 MIDI interface; any rates of good ones and with reasonable price?

Reaction score
good morning from Italy to those who will have the patience to read my problem; :):):)

I have a vintage MIDI interface cabletronic mint290; connected USB 2.0 with adapter;

MIDI connection: OUT mute weighted keyboard -> IN MIDI interface - - - OUT MIDI interface -> IN Synth

made the regular MIDI connections with the PC, and opening the program but appears the following message: you have either no MIDI input or no output devices on your system; SY manager requires both input and output devices to work correctly;

Having said that, I ask if the MIDI interface needs a driver to work or maybe it is not compatible with the operating system?

I tried to solve the problem by trying to install the yamaha usb MIDI driver v.3.1.4 um3141x64 for windows 10 64bit; but during the installation it gives me error 25001 - device not found;

Reaction score

hI
I think something is missing in your connections.
Pls check : the cabletronic mint 290 is an Amiga serial MIdi interface that you can use on a Win 98 PC .
Anyway there are midi in and midi out and midi thrue
(midi out is not usable. Only in combination with the serial connection.
So try this :
Out midi weighted keyboard to IN midi interface, THRUE midi interface to in Synth IN , OUT synth to PC via USB/Midi connector.
Ctrl with the SYmanager.
Good luck and stay safe
mris

Reaction score
hI
I think something is missing in your connections.
Pls check : the cabletronic mint 290 is an Amiga serial MIdi interface that you can use on a Win 98 PC .
Anyway there are midi in and midi out and midi thrue
(midi out is not usable. Only in combination with the serial connection.
So try this :
Out midi weighted keyboard to IN midi interface, THRUE midi interface to in Synth IN , OUT synth to PC via USB/Midi connector.
Ctrl with the SYmanager.
Good luck and stay safe
mris

:) I see; thanks for your advice; since I don´t have yet a USB/MIDI to connect OUT synth to PC; I think I will replace the cabletronic with an interface Midiman Midisport 2x2; hopefully it will work; :)
...btw, may I ask you pls whether where I could find to download a free version of SYmanager v. 5.4?
thanks again for your useful feedback!

Reaction score
:) I see; thanks for your advice; since I don´t have yet a USB/MIDI to connect OUT synth to PC; I think I will replace the cabletronic with an interface Midiman Midisport 2x2; hopefully it will work; :)
...btw, may I ask you pls whether where I could find to download a free version of SYmanager v. 5.4?
thanks again for your useful feedback!
hi
Before shopping consider the following.
What do younwant to do (recording, sound exploring )
What can you do with the current devices?
According to your initial info it looks like you want to make a combination with a mute kb, a synth,and a PC.
Here are some'suggestions.
1) Connect your synth to your PC ( laptop ?Desktop? how many USB ?
(cabletronic has not the right connections)
If you want to record or experiment or playback from/to your PC or KB you need an MIDI/USB connector.
If you want to record audio and midi you need an audio/midi interface.(preferable)
Connecting this way and if your SY77 manager is working on your WinPc ,you can use the SY77manager as a general
purpose patch editor and librarian for'your SY synth.So I think'it is NOT a DAW) and no need to'change or update
to the SYM5 for the moment.
2)If you want to use your mute kb ( type ? brand model ?) as a master and using the sounds of your synth then just
connect mute out to midi in synth, output synth into USB pc.
You can use the midiman Midiport 2x2 if there is a midi out/usb connection. ( attention for the driver Win7)
3)For recording into you PC you need a DAW, such program is sometimes included with some audio/midi interfaces.
, or use a trial.
4)START CONNECTING YOUR SYNTH TO YOUR pc and find out what you (want) and need to achieve your goals.
good luc
mris

Reaction score
hi; thanks so much for your availability and advices

yes, correct; I have 1 vintage mute weighted kbd fatar studio 88, 1 synth yamaha sy77 and 1 notebook acer aspire 5750 (OS win10 pro 64bit); edit/librarian program installed sy manager v. 2.2.2
by now, I just want to do recording or playback from/to my PC or KB so by now I just bought a used MIDI/USB connector interface midiman usb midisport 4x4 (A,B,C,D MIDI IN and A,B,C,D MIDI OUT); it hasn´t midi thru ports; so I´ve got plenty of midi ports in case in the future I add more devices.
I think that with this interface I can connect and use both the muted and the synth kbds to record the tracks using a sequencer program;
please, can you confirm me wether the hook is correct in this way?
1. muted OUT ------> IN midi A interface
2. sy77 OUT ------> IN midi A interface
3. sy77 IN ------> OUT midi B interface

and, do you think that I need to install also a driver for this modes of interface, or isn´t that necessary?
:) thanks again in advance for your feedback! have a nice day!

hi
Before shopping consider the following.
What do younwant to do (recording, sound exploring )
What can you do with the current devices?
According to your initial info it looks like you want to make a combination with a mute kb, a synth,and a PC.
Here are some'suggestions.
1) Connect your synth to your PC ( laptop ?Desktop? how many USB ?
(cabletronic has not the right connections)
If you want to record or experiment or playback from/to your PC or KB you need an MIDI/USB connector.
If you want to record audio and midi you need an audio/midi interface.(preferable)
Connecting this way and if your SY77 manager is working on your WinPc ,you can use the SY77manager as a general
purpose patch editor and librarian for'your SY synth.So I think'it is NOT a DAW) and no need to'change or update
to the SYM5 for the moment.
2)If you want to use your mute kb ( type ? brand model ?) as a master and using the sounds of your synth then just
connect mute out to midi in synth, output synth into USB pc.
You can use the midiman Midiport 2x2 if there is a midi out/usb connection. ( attention for the driver Win7)
3)For recording into you PC you need a DAW, such program is sometimes included with some audio/midi interfaces.
, or use a trial.
4)START CONNECTING YOUR SYNTH TO YOUR pc and find out what you (want) and need to achieve your goals.
good luc
mris

Reaction score
hi good morning
You cannot have 2 inputs on one MIDI input A
so muted out ------midi input A
SY77 out-------midi input B
SY77 in ------you can use or A,B,C,D (i should take B because same device
Did you conect the USB cable to your PC, If so midiman should be recognized in the devices.
good lu k and stay save
mris

Ask a Question