Virtual Analogs... want to learn...

Reaction score
So I guess the bug has bit, I am interested in VA synths. (friend has a Nord Lead 2 possibly for sale)

Here's my situation: I own a Yamaha DX7, and an Ensoniq ESQ1. Have fiddled with the menu diving and programming of them a little bit. Seems cumbersome to experiment with sound creation and editing. However - it seems that a VA would fit in my head a bit better. Wave forms, oscillators, ADSR, filters, arpeggiators, etc. 'right in your face with knobs'.

Need to learn more about VA's before I commit to buying one. Love the factory demos of the Nord Leads and the Access Virus.... I won't be spending big bucks on something new, it will be something used, well under a grand.

Discuss. Thanks.

Reaction score
If you search this forum for synth tutorials you should find some.

As to learning you could always type in VA synth in the App Store and install the app and learn this way as well so you will be better setup to go the hardware route when you are ready

Reaction score
FWIW --

The Roland Gaia SH-01 is going out of production (or may be out of production).

It's a VA synth from about 2010, designed with _lots_ of sliders (18), knobs and buttons, and logical signal flow. High polyphony (exactly how high depends on the patch). It has some limitations. It's not pure "one knob, one function", but it's mostly "one knob, two functions". It was popular in university "synth programming" classes.

I recently bought one, and I'm having fun with it. It's _way_ easier to program a patch, or modify an existing patch, than my MicroKorg XL+.

There's also the Sledge -- probably a bit more expensive, but with more features (including lots of pre-loaded waveforms that can save you a lot of work).

Good luck --

. Charles

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
He could probably pick up a Waldorf Blofeld used for well under a thou if he goes for the module. It's a great little synth, I sold mine when I bought the Hydrasynth and I still feel a few pangs of regret.

The Hydrasynth is a beast though. :cool:

Or a Novation Ultranova or Mininova if he finds a used one for around $400

Lot's of good little VA synths in the used market.

If he does buy a Studiologic Sledge though, I can point him at a good website for free patches.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
With the current resurgence of analogue synths, I reckon now is a great time to get a good deal on a pre-loved VA.

All the ones mentioned above are pretty darn good. I'm still using and loving my King Korg too after about seven years.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
With the current resurgence of analogue synths, I reckon now is a great time to get a good deal on a pre-loved VA.

All the ones mentioned above are pretty darn good. I'm still using and loving my King Korg too after about seven years.

Actually, at least in my area, Those mini VA synths are holding value quite nicely.

Some of the discontinued ones mentioned here are still selling close to the original price or $100 less.

Some have even appreciated in value.

Seriously, in another 10 or 12 years my collection may have a resale higher than I paid for it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Actually, at least in my area, Those mini VA synths are holding value quite nicely.

Some of the discontinued ones mentioned here are still selling close to the original price or $100 less.
That's cool. You may have an investment your hands Gary!

I still think there's a lot to like about VA, too, particularly from a gigging perspective. I can't see myself ever going analogue.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually a Deepmind 6 or 12 would be useful for gigging.

It holds over a thousand presets in memory.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Wow , lots of food for thought here... thanks for the input.

I should clarify a bit more:
- I prefer knobs over sliders
- software is amazing but not for me, at least for now
- an actual keyboard and not a module... 49 or 61 keys

The factory demos of the Nord Lead and the Korg Prologue.. make me want to cry, they sound so good... then again, their programmers and players are a world above me.

Boo hoo.... what do I do...

Reaction score
I considered a Sledge seriously -- 61 keys, and knobs rather than sliders. They pop up in the used market:

. . . have you tried Reverb.com ?

. Charles

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Before he even considers spending money on a Sledge he should watch this series of Tutorials on David Clement's Youtube Channel.

He details every knob twist and button push to create over 50 iconic sounds in the series. From a Rhodes EP to Van Halen's Jump to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

If you seriously want to learn how to design a sound this entire series is worth watching.

It is a VERY capable board and I utilize mine in my studio more often than not. :)

Gary ;)

***PLUS***

When they released the 2.1 Firmware, they added Bi-Timbral Capability. :eek:

Reaction score
happyrat1 - that is the sort of education I need!!

So many amazing instruments recommended here, I check out demos of all of them as I have time..

...and, well I bought a Nord Lead 2x on ebay, I'll get to play with it in about a week. Stay tuned for many questions.

Reaction score
Before he even considers spending money on a Sledge he should watch this series of Tutorials on David Clement's Youtube Channel.

He details every knob twist and button push to create over 50 iconic sounds in the series. From a Rhodes EP to Van Halen's Jump to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

If you seriously want to learn how to design a sound this entire series is worth watching.

It is a VERY capable board and I utilize mine in my studio more often than not. :)

Gary ;)

***PLUS***

When they released the 2.1 Firmware, they added Bi-Timbral Capability. :eek:

59 tutorial videos, wow that has to be some sort of record

Reaction score
Love Thiago's playing and the sounds from the Nord. The Sledge and DeepMind are amazing as well!! Thanks for the advice, the links, etc. as I am very much interested in sound architecture.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You know something? If you want to start using a VA synth that's tons of fun and cheap to buy, look around for a used, 10 year old Casio XW-P1.

I owned one a decade ago and I took a trip down memory lane today looking at some local classifieds.

They're still selling for around the price I paid for mine which was $499 CDN plus tax ten years ago or so.

Still one of the best synths Casio ever made they sold tons of them at that price.

Some idiots are asking $850 now but they are just speculators and can be safely ignored with the abundance of used units on the market.

Someday they might be as valuable as a CZ-101 but they aren't quite there yet.

I'm seriously considering buying one myself for nostalgia's sake. Who knows? I might end up buying back my old unit :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
NKD!!!!!!! (new, to me, keyboard day...)

I just got it out of the box and fiddled with it for about 30 minutes. More fun than a barrel of monkeys.
nord l2x.jpg

Reaction score
So many amazing instruments out there today... thanks everyone for your recommendations! Every one was an eye - opener (been listening to tons of demos).

After the silliness wears off, I very much look forward to learning voice architecture and make music with this thing.... and create voicings that I can call my own.

Ask a Question