Vocoder recommendations

Reaction score
Hey fellow synthites!

Following on from some sterling advice received here I'm after some more if you' be so kind.

I'd like a synth, analogue preferably, with a decent vocoder built in. New or used not fussed.
I'm looking at a microkorg or Roland jdxi. Budget not tight but realistic.

Thanks in advance and keep keyboardist ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Microkorg is a good option. Better options include Novation Ultranova and Mininova. These are actually all VA synths, not true analog.

I'd recommend avoiding the JD-Xi. It has too many problems when it comes to saving patches and MIDI configuration. (MIDI channels are hardwired for each voice and non configurable. Tweaked patches have to be saved as complete performances including sequencer patterns and cannot simply be saved by themselves.)

Then again, the Roland Juno DS also has a vocoder built in as well. Just plug in a decent mic and you're good to go.

Seeing as you already own one I sort of wonder why you're asking this?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Haha Gary, you'e like my own personal synth guru!
I'm using the vocoder on the juno quite a lot and whilst it's fantastic, switching between modes live is problematic. I also need more effects.
I tried out the jdxi and I think I was as much seduced by it' look and feel rather than it's actual performance so I'll forget that based on your flawless advice.
So, ultra or mini - you decide...

Btw juno ds and korg krome are like a dream - and the whole lot for just over 1k. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ultranova has full sized keys with aftertouch.

Mininova has Chiclet mini keys.

My advice if money is no object, to go with the Ultra.

Personally I traded in my JD-Xi for an Ultranova.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'd like a synth, analogue preferably, with a decent vocoder built in
I do all my VA stuff with a King Korg. Has a better than "decent" vocoder in it. And the VA sounds are brilliant.

A demo I found on YouTube:

I couldn't find too many examples of the KK's vocoder in action in the public domain, so here's me using it - from 8:30 of this track we have a barking dog via the vocoder. You can hear some pretty freaky sounds out of the KK from about 9:10 on this track too:

https://soundcloud.com/user-412825325/dogs-live

And here's another example of me using the vocoder in the below track at 6:30. Again during this bit you can also hear a nice gutsy sound out of the KK, it's playing those descending intervals from F to D, then F to A, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/user-412825325/sheep-live

Reaction score
Thanks guys I really appreciate the sound advice. Cowboy - superb sounds.

I've ruled out the jdxi but still cant decide although leaning towards the ultranova. I guess I'm a preset kind of guy and have never played around with parameters as they confuse the he'l out of me!
Drums are also a factor - I do like to have a nice selection of preset patterns which VA's seem to be lacking.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you're looking for some interesting drum patterns, try turning on an arp on a drum kit and playing with the tempo. You can record some pretty interesting sequences going that way.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'd like to mention the electro harmonix voice box which my brother used on guitar here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UUFYYI1SZvB-NRXxvcqr8CWg&params=OAFIAVgI&v=TbkFzhj1vHk&mode=NORMAL

I also have the behringer modulizer&vocalizer both of which have vocoders and the zoom1204 and 1201 none of these compare with the electro harmonix and neither does the boss se50 which I use by preference as I don't have the harmonix.
If I could have afforded I'd have had the voice box or v256 as I am now after the auto tune effect. I think the boss vo does that,but there are certainly plenty of options thru the price range.
On a similar note: it is quite easy to make a talk box,which I did: cost a few pounds and sounds miles better than most vocoders as it is using my larynx and not a suite of filters!

Reaction score
I have a Microkorg kicking around (first gen). And TBH, it kind of blows. It’s actually my band leader’s, so I didn’t buy it, and I wouldn’t otherwise. I HATE mini keys, for one. Secondly, the whole “4 nob programming” interface Korg has adopted (they even have a clone Ms-20 with this!) is really conversomb and tacky. Lastly, I never could get it to sound very good.

It’s quite possibly the cheapest “synth” (I know, VA) out there, which is why it’s so popular, but it’s not a great instrument.

Since I’m a laptop guy, I’d probably use NI Razor if I ever got stuff that called for vocoder, though it would be a pain to run a second mic into my comp for live. I dunno, thankfully I don’t get much call for it.

Ask a Question