Voice volume

Reaction score
Hi. I have a question on my Dgx660 please. I am unable to change the audio volume in the Function menu. I can alter Song volume and Style volume but when I select Audio volume it just has three dashes that can't be changed. It's frustrating because when I play with a built in song or midi file the accompaniment often drowns out the melody that I play. Can anyone help please?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I believe the specific function setting you're trying to change is actually for something else-- the volume of the audio that's coming into the keyboard through the "AUX IN" audio connection. I have different Yamaha keyboard models that have an "AUX IN" connection and a function for controlling the volume at which the auxiliary audio is to be played through the keyboard's speakers, and that function will display three dashes ("---") instead of a three-digit number when there is no audio cable plugged into the "AUX IN" jack. (EDIT: I haven't checked the DGX660 manual yet, but it just occurred to me that the function you mentioned might be for something else, such as the volume of an MP3 audio file? On my models the function for the "AUX IN" volume is-- IIRC-- "Aux Vol.")

What you actually want to increase is the volume of the voices you're playing with. I'll need to check the DGX660 manual to see what those functions are called, but on my models the three keyboard voices (or they're really most properly known as "parts" rather than "voices") are called "Main," "Dual," and "Split"-- known respectively as "R1" or "Right1," "R2" or "Right2," and "L" or "Left" on some of Yamaha's other models-- and the three volume functions for those three voices parts are called "M.Volume," "D.Volume," and "S.Volume." Yamaha tends to set the default volumes rather low on certain voices, so you might need to crank up the volume of whichever part you're using to play a particular voice. For instance, if you've selected a clarinet voice but it's too quiet, and you're using the clarinet voice with the Main/R1 part, then turn up the Main or R1 volume; but if you're using the clarinet voice with the Dual/R2 part then you'd need to turn up the Dual or R2 volume; etc. Once you've adjusted the balance of the relative volumes of the particular keyboard parts you're using (i.e., Main/R1 by itself, Main/R1 with Dual/R2, Main/R1 with Split/L, or Main/R1 and Dual/R2 with Split/L), then you can adjust the overall volume of the Style using the "StyleVol" function to balance it with the keyboard parts.

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your speedy and comprehensive reply. I'll take a look at your suggestions. Not at home now but I'll let you know how I get on.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I've looked at the DGX-660 manual, and "Audio Volume" is indeed for controlling the volume of audio files, so you might need to load an audio file into the keyboard before that function will display a numeric volume setting.

The DGX-660 also has an AUX IN jack, and the function for that volume is called "AUX IN Level."

Furthermore, the DGX-660 does refer to the three keyboard parts as Main, Dual, and Split, so the volumes for those are called "Main Volume," "Dual Volume," and "Split Volume."

Once you've selected a particular preset voice to use for the Main, Dual, or Split part, go into the function menu to adjust the various settings for that part-- i.e., the volume, octave, reverb level, chorus level, etc., for that part. After you've done this for the parts you'll be using, use the "Style Volume" function to adjust the overall volume of the accompaniment. Then you can save all of those settings to a Registration for later recall, so you won't need to go through the same steps all over again the next time you want to play a particular song. Of course, you will need to go through those same steps if you want to set up additional Registrations for other songs.

PS -- On my models, certain preset voices are actually for specific layered sounds (Main plus Dual) or split sounds (Main plus Split). What happens is that whenever you choose a particular voice for the Main part the keyboard will load all of the settings associated with that particular preset, which includes any Dual or Split voice used along with its settings, as well as the Reverb Type, Chorus Type, DSP Type, and possibly even the Harmony Type, along with their settings (Main Reverb Level, Dual Reverb Level, Split Reverb Level, etc.).

Therefore you should always select the Main voice first, then the Dual and Split voices if you wish to use them, before you try to adjust any of the other settings related to the voices, because if for example you adjust the Main Volume and then select whichever Main Voice you want to use, the Main Volume that you just set will be wiped out and replaced by the preset volume of the Voice you just selected-- so select the Main Voice first, then adjust the Main Volume.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've looked at the DGX-660 manual, and "Audio Volume" is indeed for controlling the volume of audio files, so you might need to load an audio file into the keyboard before that function will display a numeric volume setting.

The DGX-660 also has an AUX IN jack, and the function for that volume is called "AUX IN Level."

Furthermore, the DGX-660 does refer to the three keyboard parts as Main, Dual, and Split, so the volumes for those are called "Main Volume," "Dual Volume," and "Split Volume."

Once you've selected a particular preset voice to use for the Main, Dual, or Split part, go into the function menu to adjust the various settings for that part-- i.e., the volume, octave, reverb level, chorus level, etc., for that part. After you've done this for the parts you'll be using, use the "Style Volume" function to adjust the overall volume of the accompaniment. Then you can save all of those settings to a Registration for later recall, so you won't need to go through the same steps all over again the next time you want to play a particular song. Of course, you will need to go through those same steps if you want to set up additional Registrations for other songs.

PS -- On my models, certain preset voices are actually for specific layered sounds (Main plus Dual) or split sounds (Main plus Split). What happens is that whenever you choose a particular voice for the Main part the keyboard will load all of the settings associated with that particular preset, which includes any Dual or Split voice used along with its settings, as well as the Reverb Type, Chorus Type, DSP Type, and possibly even the Harmony Type, along with their settings (Main Reverb Level, Dual Reverb Level, Split Reverb Level, etc.).

Therefore you should always select the Main voice first, then the Dual and Split voices if you wish to use them, before you try to adjust any of the other settings related to the voices, because if for example you adjust the Main Volume and then select whichever Main Voice you want to use, the Main Volume that you just set will be wiped out and replaced by the preset volume of the Voice you just selected-- so select the Main Voice first, then adjust the Main Volume.

You were right. I've got it now. Thanks very much for your help.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You're welcome! I'm glad you've got it sorted out now. :)

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha PSR-E373 and when I turn on ACMP the right side (piano) drops so low I can hardly hear it. I don't know how to set the volume for left and right. If it's in the owner's manual I can't find it.
Hope you can help. There are so many other things I need to know also but one step at a time.
I am a relearner of the piano keyboard.

Ask a Question