Volume Boost for Keyboard solos?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Nord Electro 5 HP 73 keys. When playing live I need to boost my volume above the mix for solos.

I play through stereo output to a Yamaha desk and out through a stereo Mackie 450 set up with an auxiliary lead from the desk to my monitor to give me a front of house mix.

A keyboard expression/volume pedal doesn't give a me an instant boost to a predetermined volume level, so I was wondering if a simple guitar Pre-amp volume pedal like a MXR volume boost would work?

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take a look in your Nord's effects settings to see if it has a compression effect that you could switch with an assignable pedal.

Likewise look thru your manual and see if there are any other tweakable EQ settings you can enhance.

Otherwise you could use a standalone stereo compressor pedal to punch up the output on cue but really you should be able to tweak your Nord's output so that it can cut thru the mix on command.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
This is a real simple one.

Leave yourself plenty of head room when you do your sound check.

Then when it's solo time increase the volume on your keyboard. If your Engineer has half an idea f what they're doing you'll know how far to crank your volume via your fold back.

Good luck!

Ask a Question